Storing "undefined" value in OW field(s)

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Storing \"undefined\" value in OW field(s)

Hi Forum/List,

Has anybody any idea how to store/retrieve/handle "undefined" value in OW fields?
I try to explain with an example:
I have a tolerance value on a form and stored in a table. I want to distinguish that the user entered a 0 value or never filled the field. Unfortunately, currently I can not distinguish the ENTERED 0 from the DEFAULT 0.

I have a not to lucky idea, setting default value to the highest value for the numeric field (e.g.: 9.9999). But I need solutions also for the all types (I know, fill with Z for char, ZZZZ for string, null date for date).

In the long past I had worked with Progress 6.x 4GL and there was a dedicated udefined value for all data types represented with a ? sign for all types.

Any other idea?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán
P.S.: This time platform independent issue.

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Re: Storing \"undefined\" value in OW field(s)

Hi Zoltan / List
I realize this is an old post , but did you ever come up with an acceptable solution possibly with updates of JDE? I am looking at a customized numeric field that represents an apartment bedroom count. We would like 0 to represent a bachelor suite. I can not get OW to recognize NULL ( meaning not specified) either in ER or when saving. We are contemplating defaulting to (-1) as an indicator the user has not entered anything.

Thanks
OW XE SP20 SQL Server 7 NT Server

Back