SQL7 to SQL2000 Questions

MagarG

MagarG

VIP Member
I posted some other questions before and now we are closer to actually moving from SQL7 on one server (Server1) to SQL2000 on another server (Server2). I'm trying to get a grasp on the steps to do this. I'm currently looking at a Microsoft article 314546 (How to Move Databases between Computers That Are Running SQL Server).

It looks like in step 1 you have to move the databases either with backup/restore, detach, or import. I was planning on just attaching them. Step 2 you need to transfer logins and step 3 you have to resolve Orphaned users. Step 4 (Move Jobs, Alerts, Operators) and Step 5 (Move DTS Packages) are optional and it looks like we don't have any Jobs, Alerts, Operators, or DTS Packages anyways on Server1.

I was then going to reindex the tables and update statistics. Do I do the reindexing through OMW or SQL or does it matter?

Just wanted to confirm the above process and see if there are any 'gotchas' I should look out for in the steps.

Thanks!

Grant.

Assuming
* The two SQL Servers with different names and IP addresses and are both online.
* JDE Logic Services exists on a machine other than the SQL Server.

I tend to approach this by moving a single database at a time starting with the least critical in your environment and finishing with the Production databases.
- Restore on Destination
- Resolve orphan/security/etc issues
- Change Data Sources and ODBC's everywhere. Registry patches come in handy for the ODBC's.
- Mark the source database 'offline'
- Test OneWorld to confirm success of the move
* Log in to several machines and verify that you can look at data contained in the database.
* Submit UBE's to the logic server(s) to confirm in can see the data correctly.
- Repeat for each database.

we had done this migration, NT4 to Win2k and SQL7 to SQL2k. First we did the file backup (not database) and then restored as file into the new SQL2k server and then just attached with SQL. Server automatically upgraded database from 7 to SQL2k. Take complete system backup before doing. All the best

Is there an actual "upgrade" process? Does using the Import Wizard to pull data from SQL7 into SQL2000 do the same thing?

Sounds good. When you are attaching the old SQL7 databases to the new box running SQL 2000 it runs the convert. Do you remember how long it took to attach and convert a single database, all of our COs are 3 to 4GB a piece?

Grant.

I don't remember exact time for database upgradation from sql7 to sql2k, but sure not hours.

Back