SQL Server Database Mirroring

pshearer

Anyone else out there played with SQL 2008 Database Mirroring for E1 yet? I’ve been doing some testing and JDE app servers, as well as any ODBC based connections, seems to failover cleanly. (With traditional SQL failover clustering you typically have to restart your JDE services post failover.) In tests where I pskilled sqlservr.exe service on my Principal SQL server the app server cleanly failed over to the Mirror in slightly over 1 second. In the UBE and kernel log files you see messages stating the connection was lost and then the connection was re-established.

The one area that still requires manual intervention though is OAS (because of how Oracle is creating the JDBC connection string.)

SQL Server does not support TAF (Transparent Application Failover) for the Web Tier but Oracle RAC 11g with 8.98.3.1 or later does.

With RAC both nodes are also active at the same time. Not sure when (or if) JDE will alter the code to support this with SQL Server. Previously with RAC there was no TAF but the overall response was pretty good (better with WAS than with OAS).

With any of the J2EE servers change the minimum connection=0 and then retest it. This was essential on some of the scenarios that I have running.

MOst of my HA 24/7/365 are all running on RAC but I do have one Active-Passive SQL Server 2008 cluster..........haven't tested this scenario as the SLA doesn't require immediate return to normal functioning.

Colin

Back