Hi All,

We are on the following:

Apps 9.0
TR 9.1.5.1
All Windows 2008 Servers
Weblogic 12.1.2
JDK 1.6
SQL 2008 R2

We would like to upgrade (swap) the database machine from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012 and SQL 2008 R2 to SQL 2014. This will be a hard cutover with the new machine retaining the old name.

The dilemma is, do I keep the same JDBC (sqljdbc4.jar) drivers and SQL Native Access Client 10? It appears that I should based on everything I have read, which I believe to be incomplete data.

It looks like SNAC 11 is not certified to work with SQL Server 2014. The new Microsoft ODBC Driver 11 is not certified on any OS below Windows 2008 R2. But I cannot find anything determining whether SNAC 10 is supported with SQL 2014. I cannot find anything to the contrary either. I suspect it would be fine since no new features in JDE are being introduced that would need to take advantage of any new functionality in SQL 2014. We already have FASTFIRSTROW disabled.

It does look like JDBC 4.0 (sqljdbc4.jar) is supported against SQL 2014.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Where did you read that SNAC 11 is not certified for SQL Server 2014?

For what it's worth, our Enterprise Servers (Tools 9.1.5.4) are using SNAC 11 to connect to SQL Server 2012.

At the same time, I don't see any issues using your existing drivers (SNAC 10 & sqljdbc4.jar) with the new SQL Server.

Cutting over all your environments to a new database server in one fell swoop sounds stressful. Doing it one environment at a time may be even worse...! Good luck!

You can use the same jdbc as the one you are using right now.
And I too feel its risky to cut over to the new database server in one shot without proper testing. Plan atleast 2 dry runs before you cut over.

Where do you see that SNAC 11 isn't certified to work with SQL 14? I've used both SNAC 10 and 11 with SQL12 without issue, and assume you could use either with SQL 14 from what I've read.

Hi All,

Thank you for the input. Here is what threw me off with SNAC 11 and SQL 2014. At the top of this page: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280356.aspx It says "SQL Server Native Client 11.0 supports connections to, SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, SQL Server 2012, SQL Server 2012, and Azure SQL Database."

In the table on the bottom row it does say SQL 2012 and SQL 2014. I could have swore that only said 2012 earlier, but I more likely missed 2014 since it is on another line. Anyway, my mistake and it does look like it is supported, even though 2014 is omitted at the top of the page.

Yes it is stressful doing this. The bright side is we will be doing our lower environment server first, then a reporting server, then our DR databases, before Production. For some reason I've been more stressed out about the drivers and pushing them out than swapping the database servers.

Thank you all for the help!

Back