SP24.0.2 has issues...

swhitmire

Reputable Poster
So, we went live with SP24.0.2 this morning after what we thought was extensive testing... it wasn't extensive enough. Issues we've found so far:

1. An old problem returns: a full package deployed to a fat client and accepted on login deletes all other path codes. (Going to the deployment server and installing the package by manually running InstallManager.exe doesn't cause this, though.)

2. Some users' ODA is completely broken, and reinstalling JDE doesn't fix it, and reregistering the jdeowoda.dll doesn't fix it. (They get the "Error: 'hInstJDENET != NULL' File: C:\b7\system\Jdbdrv\Oda\Jdeowoda\Jdbapiutil.cpp" error that seems to be the same thing that always shows up for all ODA errors.) I haven't figured out yet what differentiates the users with the problem from the others. Next thing I'm going to do is re-create the data sources, I guess.

3. The PCL printer definition is apparently not formatting things the same as it was... reports sent to printers defined as PS are fine, reports sent to PCL printers have random blank pages interspersed in them and extraneous 0's and tick marks near the margins.

4. Our customer service people are constantly getting kicked out of order entry with Invalid Overwrite or Read errors. We're trying deleting the User Overrides, and that may be helping, but we're not sure it's completely fixing the problem.

So, if you're thinking about installing SP24.0.2, you might want to hold off.

Hi,
we expect the release of TR 24.0.3.
For the bug "8939890: Decimal separator comma result", Oracle Support said:
"I received a message from Denver regarding TR 24.0.3
Development taget date for release is last week in September. but no precise date has been set."

We installed 24_02 on w2k+3 and had various issues around "stability" with applications crashing and activeconsole.exe crashing. JDE released a POC fix to replace jdeuser.dll. This may be applicable to you and it did fix our issue with client side applications.

As for the package's being removed, we have this issue also when the package is mandatory installed on the fat client however running the package install manually via installmanager. We have this logged with oracle but they have not came back stating this is a noted issue.

JDE XE SP24_02, SQL Server w2k+5 SP 3, W2k+3 OS

Sorry Point 4 above is the exact same issue we had with overides and a POC Fix was identified for when we logged this issue. Check (and quote) for SAR 8941752 which someone else logged before me but ironically was "private" meaning i could not find it when searching for 24_02 issues.

I have not came across the other issues you report but they may niot be applicable to our configuration.

Thanks so much for the info! I've opened an SR referencing that bug and saying that I've heard there's a fix... hopefully they'll send it to us. We ended up rolling back to SP23_R1 in production last night -- our customer service people were having to enter orders two and three times each.

Yikes! We're planning to install 24.0.x in October some time, so hopefully 24.0.3 will be available and fix some of these issues.

Just a question about the client machine - did you do a fresh install of the clients or just push out a mandatory package to them?

[ QUOTE ]
....We ended up rolling back to SP23_R1 in production last night -- our customer service people were having to enter orders two and three times each.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scotti - you went live in production far too early.

I don't know how many times I've told customers - never EVER EVER go live in production with anything less than the 3rd release of a tools release.

Back in "old money" - that meant waiting until the 3rd one-off - SP18.1C1 or even SP18.1D1 or something similar.

Going live with SP24.0.2 is only the second release of SP24. Same with going live with 8.98.1.2 - customers everywhere are getting burnt.

Why the 3rd release rule ? Well, it seems that it takes 3 months for JDE to get a release out through internal "QA" (which is useless) to their customers. So, this means that by the time that a release reaches a user (24.0.1 for example), the development team are already closing up 24.0.3 and about to start working on 24.0.4

Since QA is non-existent internally at JDE (but, to be fair, they really cannot test everything that customers utilize) - the first time bugs are found is when a customer starts testing. Major bugs DO get back to JDE pretty darn fast - but they cannot roll those bugfixes into the second release, because that's already in QA ! So, they roll those fixes into the third release (if we're lucky) or the fourth release.

So, rule of thumb - always wait for the 3rd or 4th release before going live. But feel free testing away on 1st or 2nd releases !!!!

This is exactly what's happening with us now!

We installed SP 24.0.2 and we had a lot of problems. Users being booting out from JDE, memory errors, JDE abending in many modules: AP, AR, G/L.

Oracle sent us a new version of JDEUSER.DLL saying that this will fix the problem. Maybe this will be part of 24.0.3 version, I don't know...

We'll start working on it right now in PY and to follow up with more details, go to www.jdefusion.com where I'll post some more information about that.

Att,

Gustavo Barizon
www.jdefusion.com

There was 24.0.0, 24.0.1, and then 24.0.2, so I thought it would be safe! Guess with fewer people paying attention to Xe it's now at least four releases before they get it working.
smile.gif

I just got the fixed jdeuser.dll discussed earlier from Oracle this morning, and managed to enter eight orders in a row in PY with it without problems, so I'm hopeful... I've got some other people testing it now to see if it holds up.

And yes, I sent the new full package I built for SP24 out as a mandatory package to users. Installing it manually avoids the loss of other path codes, but 99% of our users only have PD, so I just removed the deployment for the users who would be affected and had them install it manually.

I'm going to open an SR today about the problem with PCL printers. I've got a printer that has two queues set up, one PS and one PCL, and when I run the same (uncustomized) report to them under SP24 I get different results -- the PCL one wraps lines that come out fine on the PS one.

[ QUOTE ]
There was 24.0.0, 24.0.1, and then 24.0.2, so I thought it would be safe! Guess with fewer people paying attention to Xe it's now at least four releases before they get it working.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

24.0.0 is like a "beta" - its completely untested in the field, I don't even rate that as a working product. You can ALWAYS ignore "dot zero" releases.

.1 is the first update
.2 is the second update

so theoretically, .3 is the update to go with.

Back in "old money" this would have been something like
24.0.0 = SP24
24.0.1 = SP24A1
24.0.2 = SP24B1
24.0.3 = SP24C1

If there was an A2, then thats like a 24.0.1.1

We had the exact same issue and also got the JDEUSER.DLL from Oracle. All is fine now. We have been running on it for about three weeks.

Hello All,
We did upgrade SP23_J1 to SP24.0.2 and got the same errors.
We opened a SR in Oracle Support and them give us jdeuser.dll as solution about "Override Problems".
And that worked without problems.

But we still having problems with Update Packages abnd Full packages. When we accept package from JDE, the package clean all C:\B7 folder and reinstall JDE than we lost all environment folders (DV7333/PY7333/PD7333) and install just environment from package.

Other problem, we copied jdeuser.dll to system\bin32 folder in deployment server to fiz the "Override Problem" but when install JDE or accept package the fundation in mu Citrix Server and Fat Clients received old jdeuser.dll (bad one).
Could someone tell me why this happens and how can i fix?

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

Other problem, we copied jdeuser.dll to system\bin32 folder in deployment server to fiz the "Override Problem" but when install JDE or accept package the fundation in mu Citrix Server and Fat Clients received old jdeuser.dll (bad one).
Could someone tell me why this happens and how can i fix?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you recompress your foundation after you copied the new dll in the system folder on the Deployement server? You need to recompress your foundation so it is included in the system.cab files in the systemcomp folder, which is where it gets the system files from on a package install.

[ QUOTE ]

Did you recompress your foundation after you copied the new dll in the system folder on the Deployement server? You need to recompress your foundation so it is included in the system.cab files in the systemcomp folder, which is where it gets the system files from on a package install.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to talk with CNC and he didnt recompress. Do you know how can we do this? Maybe this is easy answer but I need to ask.

Thanks.

I found documentation in Oracle Support.

[ QUOTE ]

1) go to GH9083
2) select Package Assembly
grin.gif

3) assemble an update package using a valid parent package and choosing the default foundation.
4) you can choose NEXT to complete the assembly process and select END on the final screen
5) make the new assembled active and defining the package ... Build Specification Options should be greyed out ... on the Compression Options screen select only "Compress Foundation" ...
6) submit package ... This will re-create the system.cab file in the systemcomp directory.
7) verify that the system.CAB folder on the Deployment Server's SYSTEMCOMP has been updated

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Does anyone else have PCL printing issues?

That's one that scares me, since we use PCL exclusively and rely on things being in the right place for pre-printed stationery and to get "read" by Esker Deliveryware for distribution.

Just wanted to give an update on this... the PCL problem is the big thing that's still outstanding -- see the new thread I made about that.

The new jdeuser.dll that Oracle support provided seems to have fixed the instability problems -- we've sent it to three customer service users, who have now had 11 person-days of working without crashes. That's a pretty good sign, given that in the one day that the whole company was on SP24, some of our customer service people were getting kicked out of JDE so often that they resorted to taking orders on paper and entering them later to keep from having customers waiting on the phone.

The ODA issue turned out to not really be the fault of SP24 -- it was just caused by installing a new full package. Installing the package caused the JDE-related entries in users' paths to get moved to the end, which shouldn't be a problem, except that some of our finance people use some software on a network drive that has path entries as well, and having the JDE stuff after those broke it, for reasons I don't entirely understand. Moving the JDE directories before the remote ones in the path fixed the problem.

We haven't actually done anything about the other problem (the fact that it removes other path codes when accepting a deployed full package) since that only affects a small number of users and we can just rescind the deployments for them and have them install the package manually. I may open an SR about it just so support will know it's broken, though, unless someone else has already done so... anyone?

I am having these same issues with SP24.0.2 that was rolled into production on Monday. Our test environment seemed ok but obviously we didn't test enough. My question to you would be what did you have to do to obtain this new jdeuser.dll from Oracle. As expected they are clueless and I am getting killed here from my users. In desperate need of a fix...

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Just open an SR with Oracle, describe the problem, reference Bug 8941752, and tell them you want the replacement jdeuser.dll that other customers have gotten as a fix, and they should be able to provide it right away.

Back