Setup to Error if Batch/Transaction has no Object Account

KKJ70

Well Known Member
Greetings,

We had a transaction where the user missed entering the object and sub account, but did enter a subledger and subledger type. The batch posted just fine, but others here thought it would error out if no object account was entered.

The post program only verifies the business unit's validity, not whether or not an object account is in the transaction.

Is it possible to have a batch error out if the transaction does not have an object account?

~Kelli

It is possible in JDE to have an account code without an object account. They are used in job cost. I accidentally changed an object account to blank on a financial account when I was doing account maintenance once. It didn't cause a referential integrity issue because the short account number did not change.

I have never seen the post program process an invalid account number. My suspicion is that you have an account code with a business unit and a blank object and subsidiary. You could use Trial Balance Ledger Comparison to see if there is indeed a blank object and subsidiary for the business unit. You or your technical staff could use Universal Table Browser or Data Browser to determine the short account number for the transaction which posted. Then use the short account number in Account Ledger Inquiry (with the appropriate prefix, probably the * character) to pull up the account that the transaction posted to.

The account number was valid and did allow posting, which is why it posted. Accounting had understood that if no object account was entered in a transaction, the batch would show as an error.

It was brought to our attention when accounting ran the balance sheet, which was out of balance. The account was found via the GL by Object Account.

The business unit (LOD 3) has many accounts that will roll up to it. I am trying to figure out what needs to be done for the business unit to exist and not have an obj and sub associated with it to educate the accounting group so we can prevent this in the future.

Thanks for your help.
~Kelli

[ QUOTE ]
It is possible in JDE to have an account code without an object account. They are used in job cost. I accidentally changed an object account to blank on a financial account when I was doing account maintenance once. It didn't cause a referential integrity issue because the short account number did not change.

I have never seen the post program process an invalid account number. My suspicion is that you have an account code with a business unit and a blank object and subsidiary. You could use Trial Balance Ledger Comparison to see if there is indeed a blank object and subsidiary for the business unit. You or your technical staff could use Universal Table Browser or Data Browser to determine the short account number for the transaction which posted. Then use the short account number in Account Ledger Inquiry (with the appropriate prefix, probably the * character) to pull up the account that the transaction posted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The account number was valid and did allow posting, which is why it posted. Accounting had understood that if no object account was entered in a transaction, the batch would show as an error.

[/ QUOTE ] <ul type="square"> [*]Because there was a row in the Account Master Table with the Business Unit, a blank Object and a blank Subsidiary, a valid object account value (blank) was entered. [*]If there were no row in the Account Master Table with a blank Object account, then the account would have needed to be preceeded by the invalid account character (usually #) and the batch would have shown an error. [/list]
[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to figure out what needs to be done for the business unit to exist and not have an obj and sub associated with it to educate the accounting group so we can prevent this in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]<ul type="square"> [*]The Business Unit exists because a row was added to the Business Unit Master Table (F0006) [*]An account was added to the Account master with the Business Unit, a blank object and a blank subsidiary. [*]There is difference between not adding a row to the Account Master table and adding a row with a blank object and subsidiary [*]Blank is a valid value for both object and subsidary, although for financial accounts object should not be blank [*]Every Business Unit could have a row in the Account Master Table with a blank object and subsidiary (even though the accounting group would not want it)[/list] Hopefully this will help you find a way to get the accounting group to understand what happened and why it was possible.

We often add business units that will exist for job cost. When the setup is complete we go to review and revise accounts and change the posting edit code on the first record to N. That record has no object or sub and contains the job name. I'm not sure which step in our process creates that record, but we don't want entries posted there and the N prevents posting.
Hope that helps.

I think when you create the cost code structure, that account gets created automatically.

Back