Service Packs how do they affect objects?

Deborah_Foster

Here's my question.
Just what are service packs? Are they cumulative of all the ESU's?
Do they only effect the Base JDE code and not objects such as P4210?
Here's my problem. New job, new place, Have the ube for the pick ticket pgm
marked as changed and do not replace. This program does not seem to be working
properly. We ahve lots of lines going on backorder when there is inventory on
hand. Have been told from JDE that we need to install SP 16. Our CNC consultant
says leave checked as do not replace. Says Service packs do not affect objects
only base code. Is that

My understanding is that "updates" are cumulative of ESU/ASU's that allegedly have undergone more testing as a whole than the individual ESU's.

Service packs are "foundation" only, that is the stuff normally in the system folder. They do not contain OL objects, like the P4210 you mentioned.

Generally speaking, service packs don't affect the operation of objects - but remember those objects on the client are talking to the enterprise server's services (which are affected by sp's) and so on, so they can indirectly affect an application. However, I would expect those problems to be more widespread and general than a single application.

That's the way I see it anyway. Hope that helps.

---------------------------------
OneWorld Xe SP15
Clustered Windows 2000 + SQL 2000

Hi Deborah,

your post was cut off mid-sentence but I believe I understand your question.

Your concern is whether or not application objects such as P4210 can be overlaid when installing OW Service Packs - possibly causing you to lose changes.

Your CNC consultant gave you the correct answer - Service Packs do not change application objects. They are not a collection of ESUs (ASU's or updates are an accumulation of ESUs). They do however change portions of the base foundation which all the applications depend on. As such Service Packs can change application behavior (fix and/or cause bugs).

Suggest you and your consultant look at the issues on the Knowledge Garden with Service Pack 16 and when Service Pack 16.1 is due out. You may want to wait for 16.1

Cheers,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Try this one for size. Applications P09214 and P09216 ran OK under SP15 but
after SP16 they don't. Looking on the Knowledge Garden shows that the issue
is logged and there is an ESU for it. Try telling the users that it only
affects base code.

Graham Jones
JDE Systems Manager
[email protected]

B7332 SP16 / AS400 V4R4 (CO on AS400) / Fat clients NT4

***** DISCLAIMER ***** This communication contains information which is
confidential. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient. If you
are not the intended recipient, please note that any distribution, copying
or use of this communication or the information in it is prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us by email or by
telephone on 0151 653 1700 and then delete the email and any copies of it.

Each of the three replies above are true.

Perhaps my explanation will help shed some light...

A service pack is just the "system" (+ few other things like documentation and interop) portion of the OneWorld software. If you look on your deployment server or even a OneWorld client workstation, you will see a directory named "system" under the "B7333"(deployment server) or "B7"(client) directory. When you apply a service pack, it is the contents of the system directory that get replaced.

JDE refers to "system" as the "foundation" because all of the OneWorld application obects rely on it (much like a house relies on its foundation). When you apply a service pack, you are essentially replacing the foundation, yet leaving the house alone. In replacing the foundation, however, there is potential that applications that used to work may not work afterwards (this scenario is typically minimized and, in most cases, a one-off is available to fix the issue).

It's important to understand that the service pack does not change the application itself. I.e. there are no application obects delivered with a service pack. Hence when you apply a service pack, you do not do a Spec Merge (Doing a Spec Merge is indicative of applying changed application objects).

In summary, service packs do not change OneWorld objects. However, if you apply a service pack, it is possible (though rare) that a particular application may not work as it used to.

Hope this helps...

Back