Server Upgrade Project

Inverso

Hi Guys,

my company's about to upgrade the servers that OneWorld runs on, but before we go ahead with any changes we'd like to check incase other people have had problems (just so we know what to expect).

We are running a heavily customised version of JDE OneWorld B733 SP20. Our current system consists of an Oracle 8i database sitting on SunOS 5.8 for the production database, and oracle 10g on a windows 2k server for our non live databases (we're using a different version of oracle here so that we could see what oracle 10g was like over a long period of time before risking moving prod). This server is run as a test enterprise server (i.e. used for running UBEs in non live environments as well as the non live databases). We have an additional 4 Application servers and 4 citrix servers which also run win 2k server. Citrix is always kept up to date in terms of version & service packs for both clients & servers. Only our developers and analysts use FAT Clients, all running Windows XP.

Our proposed new system will see all servers changing to win 2k3 server (including the prod database), and will use oracle 10g for both production and test databases. We are keeping the configuration exactly the same in terms of number of servers & their roles. Because of the amount of customisation involved, we're hoping to avoid installing additional service packs. Since there is no oracle 10 DLL, we will be using the JDBOCI90 DLL. Our FAT client machines will also be upgraded to servers running Win 2k3 server (since the new system is located off site). To get around checkout issues we'll be using the OWDEVELOPER=TRUE JDE INI setting on these clients.

To avoid issues the plan is to setup the entire system & ensure that it is running & stable before migrating the business data across & repointing the citrix clients to the new servers.

If anyone can see any huge errors or likely pitfalls, I'd be grateful for your advise.

Kind regards,

JB

Hi JB

First of all, can you confirm you're running B733 or Xe (B733.3) - I'm guessing the latter and you just had a typo in your original version.

I can make any recommendations on the hardware architecture, and I am extremely experienced (as most here know) in making these types of recommendations and conversions. I think we can take this offline, and I'd be very happy to go over your architecture. Email me.

Hi Altquark,

We're running B7332 with service pack 20 (effectively making it B7333). We already have hardware in place (thanks for your offer though; it's greatly appreciated), but are wondering about the software. We'd like to use Win2k3 on all servers & upgrade our database to oracle 10g. I've heard of people using this version of oracle with our version of JDE, getting round any potential issues by using the oracle 9 client & JDE's JDBOCI90 DLL; since there is no direct link between JDE & the back end database this seems a safe solution. However, since none of this has been tested by JDE we're worried about how a different OS may affect JDE & are wondering if people have had experiences (positive or negative) to help us decide; if no one's tried before we'll play it safe and go down the Win2k server route, but since win2k3 offers more features and better security it would be nice to upgrade if we're able to.

Thanks once again,

JB

John,

There are issue with this plan: I do not believe SP20 supports W3K yet, you will probably need to go up a couple of SP levels for that, which may also make your JDE compatible with 10g.

Also, using Oracle client version, different from the server version is not always good. I have seen issues with this, so even apart from not being supported by JDE, it may be plain bad for you.

With the latest JDE SP, you should be able to safely do both. If not upgrading SP, you shouldn't do either change.

My two cents...

[ QUOTE ]
We're running B7332 with service pack 20 (effectively making it B7333).

[/ QUOTE ]
You are almost correct - you're running the same foundation - but B7332 doesn't have OMW and is certainly has a lot of old functional code. Its not Xe - but it uses the same service pack levels.
[ QUOTE ]

We already have hardware in place (thanks for your offer though; it's greatly appreciated), but are wondering about the software.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear about your configuration - email me info on this - its always good to have a second pair of eyes look it over.
[ QUOTE ]

We'd like to use Win2k3 on all servers & upgrade our database to oracle 10g. I've heard of people using this version of oracle with our version of JDE, getting round any potential issues by using the oracle 9 client & JDE's JDBOCI90 DLL; since there is no direct link between JDE & the back end database this seems a safe solution.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apart from the Win2K3 - the Oracle 10G connectivity from 9i clients is very possible since Oracle 10g will happily support the 9i client connectivity. I've done this myself without any major issues.
[ QUOTE ]

However, since none of this has been tested by JDE we're worried about how a different OS may affect JDE & are wondering if people have had experiences (positive or negative) to help us decide; if no one's tried before we'll play it safe and go down the Win2k server route, but since win2k3 offers more features and better security it would be nice to upgrade if we're able to.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want to go Win2K3 - you shouldn't have an issue, but you will have to update your service pack release. I recommend going to at least the latest SP23 - you will go through a major change which occurred at SP21 - ie, the password re-encryption. I strongly recommend you start looking at testing the latest service pack and go through the preparation of installing the latest planner ESU and all relevant ESU's for the update.

Once you move to SP23, you'll be ok to do what you're asking - ie move to Win2K3 with Oracle 10G. Obviously it isn't an "officially" supported methodology the way you are looking at installing - but it will work. I strongly, strongly recommend planning a LOT of testing before you do this however.

You really should think about upgrading to 8.10 btw - at least to get back into support !

Back