Server Timings for Single Instance E1 supporting multiple time zones

Info_123

We have E1 running which supports Asia and US. The data center is in Asia. The US users hit a CITRIX machine which is configured to have US EASt coast time zone. We have a single instance of E1 and same database for all countries.

We want to get rid of CITrix machine and ask US users also to log in through web client.

However since my data center is in Asia there will instances when documents like pack slip in US will be printed with next days date even though date change has not happened in US yet.

How do organizations which has operations across different conuntries address this issue.

-E810 AS/400 E810 894

In continuation of my earlier post we found that if we change the user profile and define the time zone as an example EASt COAST TIME - US for a user it is supposed to show that timings for all jobs submited to batch server etc as per US timing.

But when I submit as an example R0006P to sever via JAS using an user ID whose profile has been changed to US I still see the server timings of my data center. what are we doing wrong ? What changes do I need to make to user profiles so that they can see US timings on their jobs & transactions irrespective of what the server timing is

Thanks

I'm facing the same problem. My datacenter is in Brazil and the US users have their jobs with time wrong. Did you find a solution or workaround it? I haven't find a solution until now. Thanks!

JDE delivered UTC/timezone handling in E1 8.9 in what I would call a toolkit form. They provided a new data type "JDEUTIME" and a few functions to process the JDEUTIME fields and display them with a time offset applied based on the user profile. Unfortunately this support was not applied to existing applications. The intention was that you could use the features on a custom basis for your own applications and modifications.

As of 8.12 I believe only some CRM and CSM applications make use of UTC times. If you take a look at your data dictionary and search for items of type JDEUTIME you will find only a couple of hundred.

The job master table and application have not been modified to use UTC times. So while you are setting a time zone in the user profile it will not have any effect on the time displayed in the Work With Submitted Jobs application.

I have worked with a few sites where standard applications were customized to make use of the UTC functions. This was done by either adding an extra column to the table or using tag file to hold the JDEUTIME timestamp. I have usually seen this done with Sales Order and related applications. Like any modification it comes with risk. In the case of the sites I worked with the value of seeing local times for those particular functions outweighed the effort/risk of customization. Modifying the job master in this way could be done but it is probably not something I would put into production.

There are other techniques that can be used to help with the multiple time zone issue. They are based on having multiple web and enterprise servers, running on different time zones. The setup takes some consideration though as managing the batch window for a shared database with business logic running in different timezones can introduce issues for mass update jobs that select records based on current or next day.

Search the list for timezone / time zone and you will find a number of discussions with good ideas.

Back