• Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

Server Program..!!

vliyer

Active Member
Hi,
We need to have one server program which will always be running on server
and watching for records coming in one table. Whenever it sees any record in
that table, it should process that record (call few more programs) and then
delete this one.

Right now we have one program which is in loop to read records from this
table and process it. This guy works fine but killing up resources like
anything..since it's always in loop and reading the table.

We want it to run only when record is added into the table.

Do we have anything like file servers on as/400??

thanks in advance,

regards,
venkat.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com
 

barrier

Reputable Poster
Venkat,

We have done a similar thing where a Monitor UBE runs continuously in a
queue waiting for new data coming into a table and then launching another
UBE to process the data.

To prevent the monitor from monopolizing the server we put the monitor "to
sleep" at the end of each processing cycle for a predetermined number of
seconds.

If your enterprise server is NT you can use JDE BSFN B98825 (Sleep Time)
to accomplish this. If your ES is not NT the you will have to write your
own BSFN using JDE API jdeSleepSeconds.
 
As Zoltán often laments you didn't put your config in your message so I
don't know what database you are using, but another possibility is to use a
database trigger that detects when a record is added to your table and
perhaps fires off a separate process to do the work. If you don't know
about such things ask your DBA.

Wayne Ivory
Information Services
Iluka Resources Limited
 

vliyer

Active Member
Hi Wayne,
Zoltan reminded me lot of time ..I will not repeat this mistake again.
we have Windows NT,Unix Server, B7332 SP11. Oracle 8.0
I am aware of Table ERs etc..but the problem here is the table is getting
updated through JDA (Third Party s/w).
TER will work only if the records are added through JDE.

Let me give some additional information about the requirement :-
We have table F56110 which receives print request from JDA (as/400 based
s/w).
Structure :-
Project Number, Business Unit, Register Number &
Print Summary or Detail "D" or "S"

We have two reports say Detail and Summary to print accordingly.

WE have one UBE which reads F56110 in loop (i.e. always) to check if F56110
received any record. WHenever it finds it, submit report accordingly. If it
checks the status as "T" i.e. Terminate, It exits the loop.
after processing, it delete the records.
This program works fine but takes CPU time just like that..!!

WE are looking for some program like TSR's (Terminate but stay residence)
which will be active all the time watching on this table and whenever it
gets record should get's activated..!!

Sorry for not being clear about the requirements and most imp..not
mentioning the config..!!

Thanks and regards,

venkat.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com
 
Sorry foe get into the subject... What you may do is use and Oracle
database trigger to call an UBE everytime a record is created and/or
updated. We did that in a client site, on an AS/400, and it worked fine!
What's the transaction volume, how much data are you talking about?

Thanks,

Daniel Nunes Viggiani
JDEdwards Certified Consultant
Broughton Systems Inc
JDEdwards National Select Business Partner
dviggiani@broughton-sys.com
(804) 323-0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "vliyer" <vliyer@hotmail.com>
To: <jdeowdevml@jdelist.com>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2000 8:28 AM
Subject: RE: Server Program..!! ~~2032:2063


> Hi Wayne,
> Zoltan reminded me lot of time ..I will not repeat this mistake again.
> we have Windows NT,Unix Server, B7332 SP11. Oracle 8.0
> I am aware of Table ERs etc..but the problem here is the table is getting
> updated through JDA (Third Party s/w).
> TER will work only if the records are added through JDE.
>
> Let me give some additional information about the requirement :-
> We have table F56110 which receives print request from JDA (as/400 based
> s/w).
> Structure :-
> Project Number, Business Unit, Register Number &
> Print Summary or Detail "D" or "S"
>
> We have two reports say Detail and Summary to print accordingly.
>
> WE have one UBE which reads F56110 in loop (i.e. always) to check if
F56110
> received any record. WHenever it finds it, submit report accordingly. If
it
> checks the status as "T" i.e. Terminate, It exits the loop.
> after processing, it delete the records.
> This program works fine but takes CPU time just like that..!!
>
> WE are looking for some program like TSR's (Terminate but stay residence)
> which will be active all the time watching on this table and whenever it
> gets record should get's activated..!!
>
> Sorry for not being clear about the requirements and most imp..not
> mentioning the config..!!
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> venkat.
>
>
____________________________________________________________________________
_________
> Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
http://explorer.msn.com
>
>
>
>
> --------------------------
> To view this thread, visit the JDEList forum at:
>
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=0&Board=OWDEV&Numb
er=2063
> *************************************************************
> This is the JDEList One World / XE Developers Mailing List.
> Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
> UNSUBSCRIBE can be found at http://www.JDELIST.com
> *************************************************************
>
>
 
Yes, this is what I was suggesting to Venkat. A Database Trigger doesn't
need to terminate and stay resident because it is programmatically activated
when a row is inserted into the database table. As I said, it is probably
best to talk to your DBA about them Venkat.

Wayne Ivory
Information Services
Iluka Resources Limited
 
Daniel,

could you shed some light on how you've implemented database triggers on an AS/400 ? I have a very similar problem to the one that Venkat has described.

Thanks

Frank

Frank Eckelmann
B733 SP11.3; AS/400; NT; Citrix 6; pcAnywhere 8; CreatePrint
 
On the As/400, there is a database trigger (I don't remember exactly the
command, probably a 400 DBA will now) that calls a JDE command RUNUBE to run
UBEs. That command need a UBE name, a version, an environment, an user and a
password. On the Unix platform, I don't know the command, but I'm sure there
is a command to do it. RUNUBE is a good start to search for a system
executable.

Thanks,

Daniel
----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank_Eckelmann" <eckelmann@yahoo.com>
To: <jdeowdevml@jdelist.com>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 4:50 AM
Subject: Re: Server Program..!! ~~2032:2100


> Daniel,
>
> could you shed some light on how you've implemented database triggers on
an AS/400 ? I have a very similar problem to the one that Venkat has
described.
>
> Thanks
>
> Frank
>
> Frank Eckelmann
> B733 SP11.3; AS/400; NT; Citrix 6; pcAnywhere 8; CreatePrint
> --------------------------
> Visit the forum to view this thread at:
>
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OWDEV&Numbe
r=2100
> *************************************************************
> This is the JDEList One World / XE Developers Mailing List.
> Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
> UNSUBSCRIBE can be found at http://www.JDELIST.com
> *************************************************************
>
>
 

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Venkat,
I agree with Wayne that a native database trigger (not TER) could be the most adequate solution but I have an other, maybe a little bit silly idea.

Do you have an unused PC?
If you have then what about to run your "watchdog" OW application on a dedicated workstation which will launch the UBEs on the server?
Advantages:
1.) easy to implement
2.) it's a clear OW method
3.) could use NT possibilties too
4.) relief the server
5.) could use as a fast temporary method

Zoltán


B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)
 
Top