Serial Numbers

jesande

Hello ,
This is my first post so be kind with me. Help me there.
I a mdealing with serial numbers and want to track the use of them. So i created items wich are defined with serial numbers . I can buy and receive the product with serial number, I can ship this product with serial number but cannot receive and sell again the same serial. As my activity is to track the exchange and the flow for this item i would like to understand where the tracking rules are defined (not the lot definition) in order to get products in and out . Thanks for your answers

jesande,

Welcome to JDEList. Please take a few minutes to read the JDEList Netiquette posts, which, among other things, will encourage you to include your system configuration (JDE version, tools release, database, etc.) in your post. This information can sometimes be critical in finding an effective answer to your question.

From my experience with serial number processing, you can only have 1 of any given serial number -- that's the nature of the beast. If you want to use LOT numbers instead, there are different settings to allow that on the Item Branch screen. Lot number processing allows quantities greater than 1 of a specific lot number.

If you are on JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Version 8.11 SP1 and later there is a program P41203 that allows you to trace lots/serial#s forward or track backwards using an indented tree structure. You use UDC 40|DC and the processing options of P41203 to define which document types that you want to trace/track (PO receipts/WO Completions/Inventory Issues etc.).

Thanks,
Matt

If I understand you correctly your issue is that you have a business process that may work as follows:

1. Item A, Serial# 123 is purchased/received into inventory
2. Item A, Serial# 123 is Sold / Issued out of Inventory
3. Item A, Serial# 123 is received back into inventory
4. Item A, Serial# 123 is sold/shipped again

The above makes sense if it is a warranty/repair process. If not you have a very different business process than anything I've dealt with or read about.

At any rate yes, JDE won't let you receive the serial numbered item again unless you do one of the following:

A. treat it as a new item (give it a new item number)
B. modify the serial # (add a "-1" for instance at end of the S/N)
C. Turn off Serial Number Tracking (make it optional) in the Item Branch record for the Item.

If there is a 4th / better method I'd love to hear it.

It also makes sense for returns and can be fairly common for medical devices which can have physical attributes like size. Surgeon thinks they need x and orders X-1 and X+1 to have in surgery just in case. Unused devices the re-enter inventory on a return.

thanks you all for your answers.
You are right when you say that i could use Lot instead of Serial numbers .
Oracle says that it 's a new way to handle them. use of code 7 in the lot /serial definition will ensure unique serial in the lot master.
I went thru the processes with serial and with lots.
Now i can say that lot is a good solution for such inbound and outbound functionalities. But it charges the stock F41026 too much. (just imagine that you track bottles (10000 of them and they may be sent or retreived in 100 different Warehouses.)
Second if you do so you cannot track the LOT and the Serial

Serial just track the current situation.
I also tried to use the BI (equipments ) which could be a good support for that but the R17024 is linked to the sales only (though does not know about purchasing )

I also tried the container module G4118 , but did not get too much from this moddule.

I just want a cardex for serial in fact! but not in the 4111
Sorry to push but does somebody had to deal with such problems and how did they answer

Back