Serial Numbering

mgerritt

Well Known Member
We make industrial light sources in batches of around 10 at a time. Each item in a batch is identical, so we create one workorder for quantity 10. Manufacturing process is manual at a bench. When the lamps are completed, we receipt the workorder. World A7.3 Cum 13

The Problem: We would like to serial number each lamp, using consecutive numbers. But, as far as we can tell, JDE World does not allow multiple serial numbers to be assigned to the output from a single work order, UNLESS each item on the work order is receipted individually. Needless to say, Inventory Controls wants to receipt the order once, not 10 times.

Have we missed anything that would allow the batch to be serialized, or is there another technique? Or, does A9.1 eliminate this problem? Our 'work around' is to keep the serial numbers on a paper log.

Hi. Are you sure you need serial numbering? A serial number is a unique number used to identify one single piece of equipment, similar to a licence number on a car. If you just want to identify the date of manufacture why nut use Lot (Batch) numbering. You can set ‘Lot Process Type’ on either the Item Master or Branch Plant record for each item to automatically set the Lot number by date on receipt. Remember that means that the lot number will be the date of RECEIPT, so you need to ensure you enter the transaction same day. If this is not practical you can also manually assign Lot numbers at the time of entry. You can then see the date of manufacture on stock screens an also Trace or Track which customer received which ‘Batch’

If you want multiple items to have the same Lot number you need to set that in System constants.

Yes, I am sure I want serial numbering. One item, one number. More like a VIN number than a license plate number. But multiple one items on a single workorder. I'm gathering from the lack of response this is another 'hole' in World, something JDE assumed would never be required.

I agree with Nigel, use Lot numbers. the customer I'm with today uses this process, each item number has multiple lot numbers because each production batch of an item is unique.

Hi.

Unfortunately I don’t have a system in front of me, so this is from memory. MAYBE what you could do is make the last operation on the routing as an ‘out side operation’ this will cause an automatic PO to be created. I DO remember that in PO receipts you can enter a number in the left hand option column. I forget maybe 4 (“I know it is labelled something like multiple receipts). I think you can enter multiple Lots(certainly) and I think also serial number.

However I have time on my hands and also all the manuals. I will try to read up and post a reply if I find something better.

Just checked. The option is definitely called’ select multiple Locations………’
If you use serial number processing, you use the Lot field to
specify a serial number for each item. The expiration date and
lot status apply to the serial number you enter.
If you use basic serial number processing, you use the Serial
Number Required field on Item Branch/Plant Information to
specify whether a serial number is required for an item.
If you use advanced serial number processing, you use the lot
process type on Item Branch/Plant Information to specify
whether a serial number is required for an item and how it is
assigned. You must assign a unique serial number to each
item you receive. If you receive more than one item, you
must enter a serial number for each item on the order.

Have you had a look at the Reclassifications program, option 4 on G3113? I think it's still pretty clunky, but at least you could still do your WO completions in batches of 10, then whoever is now maintaining your paper logs could use this program to do a "From" of 10 and then 10 individual "To's" of 1 each, assigning the serial numbers. It would be slower than the paper log, probably, but then all serial number information would be in the system for tracing and tracking, taking inventory and so on, and there would be time saved by not having to go back to the paper log for reference or update. Just a thought.

Thanks all for your replies. None were quite what we were hoping for but we'll pursue some of the ideas. I did want to point out that Oracle also responded to this post, and opened a service request for me. They now review JDELIST looking for opportunities to help. They didn't have a way to get me to exactly what I want either, but definite kudos to the Oracle support team for being pro-active!

Back