Selling phantom items (stocking type 0)

Aarto

Aarto

Reputable Poster
Hi all!

Does anyone know if there will be any problems creating sales orders etc. for items with stocking type "0" (phantom items)
We will be using Sales order with transportation (shipments and loads) and also inter-company orders (SI , SK/OK)
I have given this a quick test and it seems to be working OK.

Or..
Is there another way of getting the part list populated by "exploding" the BoM of child components to the lowest level (we will have maximum of two levels)

So the BoM would be set up as..
BoM for Commercial product -> 1 Physical Product
BoM for Physical Product -> 2 Blended components

Work order for Commercial Product should have components of the Physical product in the parts list, in stead of the physical product itself WITHOUT having to set the physical product up as a Phantom

E1 8.12, tools 8.98

The reason i'm asking (in case you want to know the background) is as follows

We have a situation at my current customer where they have several "commercial" products that all point to the same "physical" product. They can also sell this "physical" product under it's own item number. (So you can sell product A under item number C, D and E as well)
The reason for having separate SKU:s for the commercial products is that the same "physical" product is sold as one or more "commercial" products to the same customer but to different price (price is determined by the "commercial" product price ajdustment).
This all works fine, we're currently using kits to handle this but will move away from kits to using work orders in stead

The complicating factor in all this is that the "physical" product is often an inline-blended product (oils etc.)
We want to use work orders and want to set up the "physical" product up with Bill of Material that point to stocked components that are used in in-line blend. We also want to set up Bill of Material for "commercial" items to point to the "Physical product" (in stead of setting the commercial items up to point to the stocked blend components directly)

So the BoM would be set up as..
BoM for Commercial product -> 1 Physical Product
BoM for Physical Product -> 2 Blended components

In the work order for commercial products, we would like to see the components in the parts list (i.e BoM of the phsyical product) but we are (naturally) getting the physical product in stead. This WO then creates demand for the physical product

I know that we can get around this by setting the "physical" product up as a phantom item (stocking type "0") but what i do not know is if there will be any problems further on in the process. We will have sales for the physical product under its own 2nd item number and will create a work orders to complete the physical (now Phantom) product to stock etc.'

Thanks
/Aarto

You could create two item numbers for the "physical" product: one as a saleable product and one to be used in manufacturing as a phantom item. Then set up the BOM for the saleable product by adding the phantom item as a component.

Back