RTRIM and LTRIM for blanks in XE SP 13

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
ER Design issue, XE SP 13
Removing leading and trailing blanks from a string variable I have used ltrim and rtrim string functions in ealier releases than XE. I marked the space char bordered by single or double quotes:
VA evt_VC10A_TmpString = ltrim([VA evt_VC10A_YearPart]," ")
Under XE SP 13, after I close the expression and re-open it in the ER Designer, the quotes has been removed and I can't save the expression with OK because I get "missing parameter" error message.

My questions:
1.) How do I have to mark the SPACE in RTRIM and LTRIM?
2.) Has this problem been corrected in a higher SP? If yes, then in which?

PS.:
1.) I know that I can workarround this problem storing space char in a work variable and use it in the expression.
2.) This problem doesn't occur for space parameters in INDENT, LPAD, RPAD strin functions.

This time: XE SP 13
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Hi,

Zoltan, did you notice if the program still runs OK with that piece of code
though you can not change it?

Has someone seen this same problem in SP 13.3 ?

Thanks,
Saara

Re: RE: RTRIM and LTRIM for blanks in XE SP 13

Saara,
Unfortunately I am very-very busy to transfer some add-on development from B7331 to XE, so I haven't time to make test application(s) to answer, that does it work correctly or do not.
If somebody tried it, then please, share the results.
Currently I want to be on the safe side and will use variable to hold the space char and will use this in the expression.
Zoltán

FYI,
I just received an answer from JDE Response Line.

They tested and duplicated the issue you reported.  They was able to locate a SAR reporting the problem, SAR 4519248.  The issue has been corrected starting with SP 13.1.

Zoltán

This is strictly a tools issue

The ER still works even though the quotation marks are removed when the assignment is brought up in the editor.

We reported the issue back in September while upgrading from B7321 to Xe and it is fixed in SP13.1

/Aarto Reponen
OneWorld Technical Consultant
Tamro AB

Hi Aarto,
Do you listen the List via e-mail or do you listen the Forum version on the web?
I can suggest you to try the Forum if you have internet access.
I have also replied my issue on 12/20/2000 reporting that I have received also an answer from Response Line, they reproduced my problem and was able to locate an SAR 4519248, further they notified me too that this issue is corrected in SP13.1.
If you listen the List on the web version "Forum" then you can see an issue and all related replies in a single thread making easier to follow a conversation. Try it.
Curently we do not plan to install SP13.1 with more reason:
1.) Our staff is very busy and have a lot of job.
2.) I have heard and read about intalling SP13.1 caused problems on several site.
3.) We are waiting for SP14 which will contain our latest language translations.

Have you already installed SP13.1?
If yes, then please, share your experiences on the Developers List/Forum. If you will do so, please send it in a new post instead of reply this one. In this case your post will open a new thread what is desirable.
Thanks in advance and thanks for your answer too.
...AND...
Visit the Forum "http://www.jdelist.com/forums.shtml"
Zoltán

Back