Reversing/Voiding a Sales Order

Ingo Hardieck

Hi,
I'm a frequent reader and fan of the JDE List but this is my first posting.

Goal:
We would like to be able to reverse/void sales orders that are already Ship Confirmed, Invoiced or even Sales Updated.

Scenario:
Sometimes we have last minute changes to an order like a customer wants to cancel an order or wants us to ship much later. However if this order advanced in our Sales Order process already past ship confirm (deducting the inventory) there does not seem to be a simple way to reverse/void this order that has not left our doors yet. A reverse feature is available in the Procurement module but not in the Sales module.

Alternatives to Reverse/Void:
1) Reverse with different Order Type: We could enter a Credit Order by pulling the original lines from the Ledger. This is what we were doing so far but in this way our Sales and Credit Reports numbers by Order Type are inflated.

2) Reverse with Same Order Type - New Order#: We could enter a new order with the same order type but a Credit Line Type ("C") to offset the sales numbers within this order type.

3) Reverse with Same Order Type - Same Order#: As we do not purge the order header when running the Sales Update we could enter a new line (Line Type "C") with negative quantities on the original sales order. This should even work if the detail lines are already sales updated and moved to the F42119. In this way the sales amounts would be correct within the order type and even within this sales order in case there is just a few items we needed to reverse. Once the new lines are processed through all the steps we should be able to reprint the invoice for the whole order and with the Item Summary flag turned on all the reversed lines would disappear from the invoice.

Question:
Now we just started to test alternative 2) and 3) but would be very interested to hear what other people do to reverse incorrect sales order information. Maybe there are even other alternatives that we don't know yet?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Ingo.

Ingo Hardieck
Vancouver, Canada
B733.2, SP15; ES - NT4; Deploy - NT4, Citrix - NT4

I've done all three, and am not aware of any others. I especially like
alternative three, where you can add another line to a sales order that has
been already ship confirmed. The last client I showed this to really liked
it, as it saves creating a credit order and also corrects the invoice if it
hasn't already been through that step. We setup another version of order
entry with the credit line type and the status pre-set. Then we summarized
by item number in invoice print.

This is also good for errors caught between ship confirm and invoicing. Its
possible the customer won't even notice that there was a mistake that was
corrected.

Andy Klee
http://www.jdetips.com/WorkshopDescriptionsAdvancedSalesOrder.htm

Hi Ingo

Unfortunately no real other alternatives exist.
The only thing I can add is that you could disable the cardex entry at ship confirm time (Processing option or use UDC 40/UI from memory) and let End of Day processing reduce inventory. In this situation you can still cancel a sales order at the very last moment without having to roll back.
But in most companies this is not a suitable solution as actual stock figures will be incorrect until EOD has run

Rgds,

Sef van den Nieuwelaar
Australia
B732 on NT, XE on NT, B732/A73 on AS400, B733 on NT

Back