Retro-fitting mods to base objects after taking ESU

johndanter

johndanter

Legendary Poster
Hi list,

I am having issues with ESUs applied to base objects we have changed. Even after I retrofit our changes.

I have modified P41202 base E1 object. Very simple change.

So I saved the code, applied the ESU then re-added our custom changes. All good.

I've instructed CNC to then apply the ESU to PY and afterwards then promote my OMW project to ensure PY has both the ESU code and our custom.

Now comes UT:

The sharper guys amongst us might know what I'll be saying next which is that my changes are not taking.

The reason is the last modified date in OMW.
My modified object may have the date of Monday when the PY object will now say Tuesday after applying the ESU to PY.

So how are you guys ensuring that OMW/E1 takes both the ESU and your changes. As depending on what you modify last will be, the promotion won't add the changed specs :(

Thanks

John

Hi John

After aplying the ESU to PY, just go in DV to your project, check out and check in the objects and advance the project to PY

this should work

Regards

Hi,

Yes that will work thanks. But I'm worried about when this goes to PD. I'll have to do the same again.
Plus more worryingly there will be a moment of time where my custom code isn't in the PD specs.

So that's my issue really. How do others fix this?

I thought when an ESU was applied objects retained the date from the ESU not the date the ESU was applied. I am genuinely asking because or procedure in the past was, I believe, exactly like you describe and we didn't have any issue that I can remember.

Well this is what I'm trying to figure out. Is it my issue or CNCs :)

I can't remember having an issue like this before either.

What they are saying kind of makes sense but I would then expect this to be a global issue affecting everyone who mods a base object that then has an ESU slapped on top 3 months down the line.
I can't be the only one :)

Hi John

after aplying the ESU to PD, just you have to do the same,

go to yoyr PY project, check in and check out and advance to PD

I'm working like that since 2003 in XE, now I'm currently in 9.1 and this works the same

it is the only way to tell the system that your object is active on the project

Regards

Ok thanks.

Has anyone tried to 'cook the books' by using SQL to amend the check in check out date?

Just curious!! Why after taking the ESU and applying the custom changes in DEV, we are taking the ESU in PY. We should just advance the project to higher environments. This is what we used to do.
Any pointer that I am missing John?

Hi Ahbishek,

I'm not sure what you're missing.

Are you saying you take the ESU in DV, add your changes on top and then just promote that object?

If you don't apply the ESU in the other environments then you're system isn't updating all the back end tables like F988810 F9672 etc.
How are you then checking you've applied an ESU for dependency checking etc?

Do you just use DV as your entry point for ESUs?
What if an ESU is clean and no objects will be affected? How do you install the ESU code into the other environments?
Are you creating an OMW project for all objects or something?

Hi John,
Agree with your explanation that we need to apply ESU environment by environment for tracking the ESU environment wise.

I remember that we used to apply ESU in DV and then take it forward. In our case, there were lot of customization in standard object and I don't remember re-doing things in higher environment.
I am 100% sure that CNC is missing something else the process will be so painful.

How do you take it forward?

In an OMW project with all the ESU objects and only apply the ESU to DV?

Or do you do something else?

For that specific change, We had all dependent objects in one project and then we moved it forward.

Guys does the tick box of spec merge have anything to do this with process?

Could that be the issue?

MODS: Could you move this to the CNC section please?

Back