Reserving inventory for the tier one customer

rkumar

Can we reserve inventory for tier one customers from the inventory. When I say reserve, I don’t mean hard commit, we want to reserve inventory even before SO is written. How and where do we set this? Appreciate your suggestion and help.

RK, did you receive any responses or were you able to find a solution? I'm exploring a similar requirement.

We're considering a similar problem. We're examining using blanket SO's to soft commit the inventory and then do releases against that for the hard commit. We're not very far along on that thought, but its what we've come up with.

I'd love to hear a better idea.

Hi

One way to approach this is to inventory transfer the stock into a separate secondary location (specific to your special customer if you wish) and then put the location on hold until you are ready to raise your SO.

Hope this helps

Aidy

We do something akin to that now and it generates issues in our warehouse we'd like to overcome. The warehouse just wants to store stuff in the most rational way. When you "reserve" space for a specific kind of customer in order to segregate your markets you constrain them on where they can store things and they have to know location X is just for the "good customers".

We're trying to unshackle the warehouse from this constraint and put that segmentation back into the demand data somehow. Blanket Orders seems like the closest fit at the moment.

Another alternative is to create a "parallel universe" in the inventory somehow. That's obviously a major hack to native processes so that doesn't seem like such a good idea.

Thanks for the thought though.

[ QUOTE ]
Another alternative is to create a "parallel universe" in the inventory somehow. That's obviously a major hack to native processes so that doesn't seem like such a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

One way in which this could be achieved is by creating a separate branchplant for your special customer, so that stock is receipted and located in the "customer owned" branchplant. This obviously comes with its own pros and cons as well though!

I've worked with a customer who has gone to great lengths of modification to bring this about. The problem is the system is designed to match supply and demand - it wants to sell the inventory. You want to selectively sell inventory and that is where it disrupts the natural way the system wants to handle business. The bottom line is without modification, the answers are all manual.

Just to note in 9.1 there is a new Fulfillment Management module (SYS 42W)which I think addresses this area. I know you are on Xe and this does not apply directly, but you can see if a consulting firm with knowledge of this new module will retrofit this into your system so at least when you upgrade your rules will match what JDE does and maybe you can setup the new module and eliminate the customization or at least reduce it.

Or use it as an example of one benefit of an upgrade if it seems to be what you need;]

Just an FYI in case you were not aware the new module addresses this type of issue.

According to the documentation the module will do the following:

The purpose of the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Fulfillment Management system is to fulfill orders in
accordance with criteria agreed upon between you and your customers. The JD Edwards EnterpriseOne
Fulfillment Management system fulfills orders based upon criteria that you set, which enables you to:
• Generate priority order scores and then match available inventory to open orders.
• Use service level rules to define fill rates for customer orders and ensure compliance with stated fill
rates before releasing orders.
• Implement an automated process that fulfills inventory to orders based on the rules.
• Review the fulfillment quantities and make necessary changes.

Hope this helps.

Back