Report Writer

pgeriesci

I have read the existing messages about JD Edwards Report Design Aid(RDA). I agree that this is a powerful tool and does open security issues.
Therefore, has anyone out there looked at either or both Crystal and Cognos and its advantages and disadvantages? I am looking at this both in terms as ease of use and functionality for the the users. Are there any limitations in these 3rd party software applications being development over a WAN using PCAnywhere? Is there still a security breach where a user can access information that was secured out to them through row and column security in JD Edwards?
Thank you,

Paul Goyette
Erie Scientific Company
OneWorld XE - SP13
SQL 7.0
NT 4.0 SP6A

JDE OneWorld Xe
SP-13
NT 4.0
SQL 7.0

You may look at Cognos e-Applications which has been designed to sit over
JDE Database in the backend and create a data warehouse for reporting.

Arup Choudhury
Sr. Manager - Business Applications
Lafarge India Limited
Calcutta
India

pgeriesci
<pgoyette@eriesci. To: [email protected]
com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: Report Writer
owner-jdeowdevml@j
delist.com

18/06/2001 05:07
PM
Please respond to
jdeowdev

I have read the existing messages about JD Edwards Report Design Aid(RDA).
I agree that this is a powerful tool and does open security issues.
Therefore, has anyone out there looked at either or both Crystal and
Cognos and its advantages and disadvantages? I am looking at this both in
terms as ease of use and functionality for the the users. Are there any
limitations in these 3rd party software applications being development over
a WAN using PCAnywhere? Is there still a security breach where a user can
access information that was secured out to them through row and column
security in JD Edwards?
Thank you,

Paul Goyette
Erie Scientific Company
OneWorld XE - SP13
SQL 7.0
NT 4.0 SP6A

JDE OneWorld Xe
SP-13
NT 4.0
SQL 7.0

--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat
=&Board=OWDEV&Number=13448

Paul,

I suggest you also scan the archives on Crystal and ODA to supplement my below comments. I haven't used Cognos so my comments are limited to Crystal and ODA.

1. Using PCAnyWhere is a tough go on any development tool / developer but I've heard that it will work - just slow . . .
2. The only way OneWorld's Row and Column security applies is if you are using OneWorld's Open Data Access (ODA) ODBC driver. This is a faulty tool - and does not guarantee that Row and Column Security will be followed. In addition it requires that OneWorld be installed on the client.

Net, net the same security issues apply whether you are in a LAN or WAN situation. Out-of-the-box JDE installs the DB totally wide open. Whether this is for reporting purposes or not you still need to secure the DB - not in OneWorld but at the database level - against people peeking and poking where they shouldn't. One way is to totally secure the database against public access, and then create Read Only views in the DB that you allow reporting access against. Again read the archives for more details on this approach.

regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE SP15.1

Back