remotely start/stop weblogic(12.2.1.0.0) BSSV instance

nkuebelbeck

nkuebelbeck

VIP Member
We are converting from websphere to weblogic. We used to be able to start/stop websphere instances because it was running as a different windows service. Is there anyway to configure weblogic the same way? or is there some API/sorcery to stop/start these instances.

Thanks

Last edited:
You may want to check out Document 1677869.1 on MOS, which discusses using WLST for startup scripts for Weblogic 12c.

You may want to check out Document 1677869.1 on MOS, which discusses using WLST for startup scripts for Weblogic 12c.

Thanks for the document. In order to kick off a WLST script from a remote machine would I then need to install weblogic on that machine?

You can install the WebLogic server (for the E1 app) as service, just like WebSphere. That will let you remotely stop/start it.

Yes, there is documentation on the Oracle support site. Search for weblogic service, you should find them. We have all instances running as services.

Although you can create Windows services for the managed server nodes for WebLogic. The ideal way to manage the start/stop is through the Node Manager. So you create a windows service for the Node manager and than "Enroll" (using WLST) all your managed servers to the node manager. There are lot of posts on this forum which talks about how to configure this. There are some really informative post from Jon which has all the steps. Let me know if you need further info on this and I can post something here...

Although you can create Windows services for the managed server nodes for WebLogic. The ideal way to manage the start/stop is through the Node Manager. So you create a windows service for the Node manager and than "Enroll" (using WLST) all your managed servers to the node manager. There are lot of posts on this forum which talks about how to configure this. There are some really informative post from Jon which has all the steps. Let me know if you need further info on this and I can post something here...

What is the advantage of using node manager vs a windows service?

What is the advantage of using node manager vs a windows service?

Nodemanager is provided and is started as a Windows Service - and then goes through starting WLS servers that have been registered to the node manager.

On all other platforms, Nodemanager exists - and is a service that is started through whatever the platform starts.

Its what Node Manager was designed for - and if you ever go down a path of implementing clustered weblogic servers (or any other servers outside of JDE) - you would be consistent.

Also, its important for support as well. When a new CNC person comes onsite - they really don't want to go through trying to understand each customers individual windows service "script" that starts Weblogic servers - or Linux "script" or whatever. A weblogic professional will know that the individual WLS Services are started through NodeManager - and any other method is confusing and can result in issues.

I have seen many customers trying to create Weblogic "startup" scripts - often they come from Websphere backgrounds. Its messy - and I wish everyone would just use the NodeManager to register their WLS Servers !

Nodemanager is provided and is started as a Windows Service - and then goes through starting WLS servers that have been registered to the node manager.

On all other platforms, Nodemanager exists - and is a service that is started through whatever the platform starts.

Its what Node Manager was designed for - and if you ever go down a path of implementing clustered weblogic servers (or any other servers outside of JDE) - you would be consistent.

Also, its important for support as well. When a new CNC person comes onsite - they really don't want to go through trying to understand each customers individual windows service "script" that starts Weblogic servers - or Linux "script" or whatever. A weblogic professional will know that the individual WLS Services are started through NodeManager - and any other method is confusing and can result in issues.

I have seen many customers trying to create Weblogic "startup" scripts - often they come from Websphere backgrounds. Its messy - and I wish everyone would just use the NodeManager to register their WLS Servers ![/COLOR]

ok. so I think i just created something you hate. aka some scripts to start/stop WLS BSSV instances. I do see the nodemanager service but if I start/stop that service nothing happens and the BSSV never starts/stops. Is this to say the BSSV instance isn't "enrolled" to nodemanager?

"Is this to say the BSSV instance isn't "enrolled" to nodemanager?"

Yes sir ..you need to enroll the Admin and the managed servers. Here is a quick reference on how to do it. Step 5 & 6 would require you to launch WLST and use the nmEnroll command. Let me know if you need other details. Hope this helps!

** Make sure you have the boot.properties file created under each server.

1. Install Nodemanager as a service (look for "installNodeMgrSvc.cmd")
2. Modify the Nodemanager.properties and set
CrashRecoveryEnabled=true
StartScriptEnabled=true
3. Make sure Nodemanager is running
4. Start the Adminserver manually
5. Connect to the AdminServer using WLST***
6. NMEnroll the AdminServer to the Nodemanager Home***
7. Kill the manually started AdminServer
8. Stop the Nodemanager
9. Start the Nodemanager
10. Connect using WLST to the Nodemanager
11. Perform start the AdminServer under the Nodemanager using "nmStart ('AdminServer')"

Soumen,

What is the purpose of steps 10-11 if after enrolling the AdminServer it should start automatically after performing step 9, starting the nodemanager?

if you kill the adminserver in step 7, you have to start the adminserver once the nodemanager comes up. The nodemanager starts any server that the previous state was "running". hence step 6 enrolls the AdminServer to the nodemanager, and steps 10&11 will force the startup of the adminserver through the nodemanager. The next time the server is restarted, and nodemanager starts up, it will automatically then start the adminserver.

if you kill the adminserver in step 7, you have to start the adminserver once the nodemanager comes up. The nodemanager starts any server that the previous state was "running". hence step 6 enrolls the AdminServer to the nodemanager, and steps 10&11 will force the startup of the adminserver through the nodemanager. The next time the server is restarted, and nodemanager starts up, it will automatically then start the adminserver.

Yep.. Thanks Jon.
Once set this works like a Charm!

I've always done something very close to this. I created a script to connect to the Node Manager then used the nmStart command to start each server. I had a chance to test out the nmEnroll command and it works great! This is so much easier, thanks for the knowledge sharing!

Back