Remote Desktop - Pasword, Domain paramers disappeared

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi JDEList,

First of all, excuse me this OFF topic issue and to post this to CNC/Tech and Developers Forum.
I googled this issue and searched Microsoft site too - without succes, so my last hope is JDEList.

OpSys: Windows XP Professional SP3 HUNGARIAN Edition.

I did not use Remote Desktop Connection (mstsc.exe) Accessory for a longer time on my laptop at home.
Now, when I wanted to use it again to access a new location, I was suprised, that Password and Domain parameters

disappeared. I tried everything to solve this, without success :-( and it drived me crazy.
Please, check the attched ScreenShot.

Two things that can cause this, as I suppose:
- I reguraly install Windows Updates, as soon as I see the notification
- I had set up a new VPN connection to the new location

I really hope, somebody can help me on JDEList in my OFF iss- I am very desperate.

All of your help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Regards.

Zoltán

Attachments

• 170148-mstsc.doc
    85 KB · Views: 126
Hi Zoltan,

enter the remote PC in the first field,
enter DOMAIN\user in the second field.

By the time you're done, you should have the option to save Password cridentials.

Best regards,

Jerry

Zoltan,

If I understand correctly:
- You make the remote connection (entering user/pass/domain)
- The next time you attempt remote connection - the connect info has not been saved

How did you exit the connection? Many products do not 'honor' the original connect string if the connection fails (either on connection or due to what might appear as a disconnect).

Just a thought.

(db)

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I do not remember, when did I notice this issue.
Some more info:

I set up new VPN connection.
I set up two new RDP, to a Terminal Server and to a Fat Client.
Running the RDP session was failed more times, mainly to the Fat Client - maybe I canceled sometime the connection window.
After I replaced the machine name with IP address, I was able to connect to the Fat Client too. Later, when I wanted to re-check RDP settings, I noticed, that Password and Domain parameters do not appear on the Remote Desktop screen (as I attached the ScreenShot in my initial post).

I was able to save RDP settings, but I was able to enter only Machine and User Name parameteres.

I tried the following and its combinations
- withou VPN connection
- re-boot the computer
- opening my old RDP with double-click
- running mstc.exe from Programs, Accessories and opening old RDP from it
- etc.

Any hint to try?

Thanks in advance & Regards,

Zoltán

Clarifying my scenario:
Not the content of Password/Domain disappeared/cleared.
These two input parameters does not appear on the RDP parameter window at all - only Machin and User name.

Regards,

Zoltán

Your screen shot looks normal to me. When I use the current version of RDP (6.1.7600 in XP), there is only one line for user information, and you have to put the user information like this: DOMAIN\User (see attached).

When RDP opens the connection, it asks for the password at that time. You also notice the check box to save credentials which should save your password.

If you want some control over all your connections, may I suggest the Remote Desktop Connection Manager (download from Microsoft here)? You can enter domain, user, and password information for each connection you configure.

[Begin Edit]
P.S. If your find your version is not the most recent, the download is here: (link to MS).
[End Edit]

Attachments

• 170156-RDP.doc
    91 KB · Views: 114
Hello guys,

I think I understand what you are trying to say.
I've attached a PDF to illustrate the different windows.

I think the problem is that your computer is not a member of any domain. I do no know your network configuration so check this "System Properties"-> "Computer Name"-> "Change"
Domain or Workgroup (radio button)

Cheers,
Dan.

Attachments

• 170157-Images.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 109
Hi Ken,

Thanks so much your reply.
Currently I am in the office, so I can not check my laptop at home.
Here I use a very old installation Windows 2000 SP4 and Remote Desktop was not part of it - it had been copied from XP if my memory serves me.
Its version is also old: 5.1.2600.3581 - and here I haven't faced the mentioned issue.

After your reply, maybe my issue is not an issue?

Thanks also for the attachment and links too.

Regards,

Zoltán

Hi Dan,

Thanks your reply.
Currently I am in the office, so I can not check my laptop at home, which is also an old one with the original Win XP installation.

Once upon a time, more years ago my laptop was registered in our local network in the office, but I haven't used it in the office in the past years - I use it at home only via an ADSL modem to the internet and without signing in any Domain.

Please, check Ken's reply and my reply to him also.

Thanks again and Regards,

Zoltán

Hy Zoltán,

Indeed it could be the version of the program. I to have the same login window as Ken. So it could be nothing wrong with your setup
grin.gif

Cheers,
Dan.

Just to toss the box out the window of a moving train....

Any chance the issue could be due to a Wondows Localization? I've read where M$ has had to change logic for some tools, due to local policies of nations.

The other thought is the Version of RDP.

Not to hijack Zotan's thread, but I can hardly wait to see what the Software World will have to do about some of the recent laws coming out of the rougue state of Tennessee.... Local Laws, Software and the Web - can't hardly wait to see what happens when they all collide on December 21, 2012....
grin.gif

(db)

Hi Ken & all of you,

Excuse me this late update.

My RDP version at home is 6.0.6001 and it's alright.
It's really seems so, there is no issue
cool.gif

I suppose, one of the Windows update replaced my RDP and it caused surprise for me.

At last, but not least - thanks to all of you for the help to clarify my problem.

Regards,

Zoltán

Back