Registration required

ekempter

ekempter

Administrator
I am strongly considering requiring that anyone who wishes to use the forum be registered?

Any thoughts?

Place your system configuration information in your signature!

Eric,
I think it's a fine idea. Also, i suggest you mandate a valid e-mail address.
dave

NT 4.0 SP5, SQL 7.0, One World B7321 SP12.4, Citrix 1.8 (XE soon)

Eric,
Does your consideration result from performance consideration?
Yes or not, would you share your arguments?
Thanks,
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

I want a more accurate representation of the demographics on the forum. It also makes forum administration easier.

You have all my support in doing so
IMHO this is a professional Forum, therefore, a decent self presentation and a nice and safe registration make A LOT of sense.

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst
LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
SANDBOX: XE SP13, 8i
RS/6000, Citrix, 200+ clients

I agree with the posts so far. This is a professional forum. (at least most times) And giving you the most accurate information on who is comming to the list is a good idea.

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.
WorldSoftware Version 8.1.2 AS/400 V4R5

By valid do you mean it couldn't be something like [email protected]
or do you want to do away with accounts comming from places like hotmail.com etc?

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.

I'm all for requiring a poster to be registered, but believe anonymous lurkering is the usual way a user becomes familiar with the forums. It helps the person become comfortable with whether or not they want to get involved. If they have to register, you may end up with many inactive users who just wanted to get familiar with what JDEList is all about.

Doug
[email protected]

Xe SP13.1, AS400 V4R3, CO-Oracle806, Co-A73c10, Citrix, NT JAS

Valid meaning any active e-mail account. I plan to make it so that if you change the e-mail address within your profile, the system will change your password and e-mail you the new password.

Possibly, but I can always nuke inactive users by date range.

hehe guess this would mean I would have to know what my current password is.
I never "log out" so I dont have to "Log in".

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.

Totally agree with you Scott!
Why change the password? Can't it be avoided?

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

How often would someone change their password anyway. I just need to confirm that I have accurate e-mail addresses.

Actually I agree with changing the password.

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.

Do you, really?

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

Yep, if someone changes there e-mail address then as a precaution the "New" password should be sent to the new e-mail address. That way a user could not use an e-mail address like [email protected].

That is my default e-mail address for 90% of the online forms I fill out.
I feel sorry for the person who actually gets the mail at that address.

Scott Parker
Grote Industries, LLC.

Eric-

I agree that requiring registration would be a good idea. The forum (actually www.jdetips.com) is the type to site that keeps people coming back. Becuase of that people are more likely to take the time to register honestly (as compared to a one time download)

As far as changing passwords, again a good idea. It seems that most people do use a yahoo/hotmail/other generic email account. These accounts stay the same even if people change jobs, etc. Therefore I would expect the change over rate for email address to be quite low.

OT: Have you ever considered having a special custom Mod section. By this I mean a fourm/database where users can upload custom programs, or fixes to OW programs, and share those with others. A good example would be when JDE help desk returns a call as 05-Reconsider in future. Chances are who ever asked for that SAR went ahead and did it once JDE said they would not. The database could have a description of the fix, application/UBE info, and numbers to crosslink to JDE in applicable. In stand alone custom development, t would certainly cut down on the re-inventing of the wheel. You could go, seach on a description and download the code. (similar to the old paper fixes). Even if the code was not used verbatum, it would still be of great value and save lots of time.

Then again maybe there would be some IP (intellectual Property) issues with this...any thoughts?

Thanks,
Aaron

I don't understand the comparison between JDETips and the JDEList Forum. Anyway, have you check out the downloads section on the main page @ www.jdelist.com?

I think it was just a little confusion there; Aaron was trying to say JDEList.com
(and not JDETips.com, which is a totally different site, even if it has the 'JDE' letters, in its name, too).
There are a lot of other sites with 'JDE' letters, out there ...
BUT NONE of them cmpares with our dear, beloved JDEList .../w3timages/icons/kiss.gif

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

Feeling sorry for that person, too ... BUT I still do not see a reason to CHANGE the password.
The scenario looks to me like:
1 - The test email (no password here, just a 'Confirm email change, please' is sent to the new address AND,
2 - The user replies with an OK confirmation (only).
Now, the interpretation is 100% logic;
IF the OK comes back to Eric/JDEList,
THEN (we/Eric/anybody aknowledged that) the new email address is VALID.
ELSE, au contraire!
END IF
Thank you for your attention,

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

Back