Reg EDI 997 Functional Acknowledgement

JDE Techie

Hi List,
We are working on JD Edwards OneWorld Xe SP23.Currently we have been asked to do a EDI process where purchase orders(850) would be sent to us(inbound) and we would need to send functional acknowledgement(997)(outbound) from JDE.

We analysed the 997 EDI and found that it is an inbound process and that it is being available from 810 onwards(As per 810 release notes PDF).

We have the following questions:

a). Can the 997 FA be implemented as an outbound process from JDE?

b). In case (a) wouldn't be possible,then is there any other workaround to achieve the same,like making FA 997 coming as outbound from any other ERP system?

c). 997 is not listed in OneWorld Xe UDC(40|ST).Do we have to manually add the entry in there or do we have to make any other code changes as well for it to work in Xe.The program R47002C listed against 997 doesnt have any coding specific to EDI codes,it just pulls from the UDC 40|ST.

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Josh

My question is this:

How are you receiving the 850's? Most EDI transactions occur through a provider. There will be a process to send the 997 from your provider. 997 is more of a technical/network document than an application/business data document so JDE does not provide tools to do that.

For example, we use a provider called True Commerce. They have software which we have installed here that receives the 850s from our customers. The 997 is automatically created and sent when the PO shows up in their software for us to work with.

The same is true on the other side. We generate 810s (invoices) out of JDE and use the True Commerce tool to send them to our customers. Our customers generate 997s and send them to us when they recieve the invoices. True Commerce's software then marks the Invoice as acknowledged and we can see that in their software, but there is no record of the acknowledgement in JDE.

Wow am I chatty today...it has been a long one.

Hope this helps some, but ask us more questions if needed.

jer

--00163600d48e25982d04866c7b7b
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If you want that type of functionality you will need a program. Every
transaction generate a 997. It is like a handshake. In JDE you can set a
flag to change the status of an order to indicate an acknowledgement has
been recieved. You probably want a more intricate status. Some 997's
indicate the transmission is rejected or accepted with errors or just that
the transmission was recieved.

True commerce has the ability to send acknowledgements just like any other
transmision. You need more analysis to understand what level of reporting
you want to send to JDE and what event you'd like to trigger once the
acknowledgement event is recieved.

is
he
are
E
rs
ist.com?Subject=3DUnsubscribe&Body=3DSirs,

Please++remove+this+address

--
Nathaniel Lawson
845-300-7802

--00163600d48e25982d04866c7b7b
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

ry transaction generate a 997.=A0 It is like a handshake.=A0 In JDE you can set a flag to change the status of an order to indicate an acknowledgement has been recieved.=A0 You probably want a more intricate status.=A0 Some 9 97's indicate the transmission is rejected or accepted with errors or j ust that the transmission was recieved.</div>

ther transmision.=A0 You need more analysis to understand what level of rep orting you want to send to JDE and what event you'd like to trigger=A0o nce the acknowledgement event is recieved.</div>

<div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:32 PM, JMast <span dir <blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 1ex; MARGIN: 0px 0 px 0px 0.8ex; BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid">My question is this:

How are you receiving the 850's? Most EDI transactions occur through a prov ider. There will be a process to send the 997 from your provider. 997 is mo re of a technical/network document than an application/business data docume nt so JDE does not provide tools to do that.

which we have installed here that receives the 850s from our customers. Th e 997 is automatically created and sent when the PO shows up in their softw are for us to work with.

JDE and use the True Commerce tool to send them to our customers. Our custo mers generate 997s and send them to us when they recieve the invoices. True Commerce's software then marks the Invoice as acknowledged and we can see that in their software, but there is no record of the acknowledgement i n JDE.

some, but ask us more questions if needed.

jer
<div class=3D"im">
=3DOWDEV&Number=3D158715" target=3D"_blank">entire JDELIST thread</a> i s available for viewing.</div>
postlist.php?Cat=3D&Board=3DOpps" target=3D"_blank">Job Opportunities f <div align=3D"center"><font face=3D"Verdana, Arial" size=3D"-2">
<div class=3D"im">This is the JDELIST EnterpriseOne Developers Mailing List <div class=3D"im">
[email protected]?Subject=3DUnsubscribe&Body=3DSirs,

Please++remove+ this+address+from+the+JDELIST+EnterpriseOne+Developers+Mailing+List.

T hank+You." target=3D"_blank">Click here</a>. </p>
aniel Lawson
845-300-7802

--00163600d48e25982d04866c7b7b--

Hi Friends,
Thanks for your valuable inputs.To explain in detail,the documents from our customer would be transmitted using ANSI X12 standards. We have BizRalk as our EDI translation software (third party) which converts the file sent by our customer into a format which is acceptable for our JDE system. We would be receiving 850 from them and then would have to send 997 to them.

Is it possible that we can have 997 be sent from our third party software(997) and instead we do a 850 inbound and 855 outbound?

I would still be very much interested to know if we can do a customised 997(outbound) from JDE. I havent done any EDI customisations as yet so in case anyone has done it,if you could advise me on how to proceed,that would be great.

Also,I need to implement 997 in Xe but that is not found in the UDC 40|ST.If I just add the 997 entry in the UDC would it suffice or do I need to do any other modifications as well?

Regards,
Josh

Josh,

I have not used BizTalk, but a quick search indicates that it can/will send the 997. I strongly recommend you look into that for a few reasons.

1) If BizTalk automatically sends them and you build something in JDE, you will be sending redundant transactions which will cost you and your customers money since many EDI solutions charge by transaction. Also, if BT does send it automatically and your JDE transaction does not match the BT transaction exactly, your customers may recieve errors since they will recieve an "orphan"/unneeded transaction. They will not like to have to track down useless errors.

2) If BizTalk can be configured to send or not send the 997, I would still recommend using BizTalk and save your time and effort in JDE. Coding it in JDE means you have to be responsible to handle changes on your customer's network and requirements. BizTalk would probably have tools to make that much easier for you to maintain.

3) Deciding to do it in JDE means you are going to have to develop a custom table, business process and job to handle it. All of this work will not benefit your business and clutter your JDE system since BizTalk already has the tools for you to do it.

4) I don't know what volume of documents you are talking about, but often a small EDI implementation gets big quickly since more and more customers will start to expect more and more documents. Being as efficient and organized as you possibly can at the start will allow you to grow and flex with future demand.

The 855 would be generated from JDE and it acts just like the 850 in terms of creating its' own 997 which your customer will send to you when they receive it. You only want to do an 855 if your customer specifically asks for it. If they do not, you would, again, be wasting their time and money and your time and money.

I have customized our incoming 850 and outgoing 810 and 856 processes in JDE. My general recommendation: Where possible leave the native JDE code alone and make your customizations in new sections on the jobs. For example, the R47002c handles incoming 850s. I left the existing section alone and simply added a new section to the job that selects the newly entered records and performs all the updates I need before placing the order in JDE. I did the same thing on the 810 side putting my customizations at the very end after the JDE code is done and before I send the document. This keeps my custom code separate from the JDE code making my life so much easier during making and testing frequent customer driven changes.

Let me know if you have questions. Every situation is unique, of course, but I may be able to give you some ideas.

Jer

Back