Re: citrix and windows 2000 terminal services on clients ---

johnsdk

This may have been heated, but I have gotten more good information from this than any other thread I can recall. Thanks, to all involved.

>>> got_to_love_jde <[email protected]> 12/14/00 2:18:31 PM >>>
children,
Please quit YELLING at each other.

NT 4.0 SP5, SQL 7.0, One World B7321 SP12.4
--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=2721
This is the JDEList One World / XE Mailing List.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found at http://www.JDELIST.com

John,
sorry to bother you but you know this stuff
i'm new to the one world enviroment but i got "volunteered" to head our project up ,as far as the citrix end goes..........i'm trying select hardware now..and have a question,,how much disk space am i looking at on the distribution box and citrix boxes for the apps??
we run compaq servers and i would like to stay with one vendor..
quad versus dual??? seems to me dual would be better?
i'm leaning towards compaq dl360's (there are 1-u's) with 2 gig processors,2 nic's, 2 gig of memory and raid 0 with 2 15k drives.........with 30 users per server (one reason for the 1-u's is space)
on the distribution server i was thinking about a dl380 with raid 5..
windows 2000tse versus wint4 tse
if we use 2000 will we need win2000 upgrade licenses?
do i need a regular backup solution for these servers or can i mirror them?..if data does not change alot it seems like i could just image the servers.

this stuff is new to me so i'd like to size the servers right from the beginning
thanks abunch in advance
David Brown
Libbey Inc.
[email protected]

Hi there,

Couldn't help noticing your post! We've recently gone down the Windows 2000 TSE route. We're having mixed feelings at the moment. Whilst the stability is there, we're having major performance issues -we access the servers over a WAN link.

Licensing is deep... I've got a white paper I can send you. Briefly, my understanding is that you'll need Windows 2000 CALs (for non 2000 workstations) and a Windows 2000 Terminal Server CAL for every non 2000 workstation that will connect to the Windows 2000 TS. Each machine that connects gets a digital certificate which it holds on to. Hope this helps.

Rgds.,

Sanjeev

Sanjeev,

Can you go into a little more detail on your performance issues over the WAN? And give the results of any strategies you've tried so far to address these?

Thanks

owguru (at least I'm trying :)
>all versions
>all platforms

Back