• Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

Re: citrix and windows 2000 terminal services on clients ---

johnsdk

This may have been heated, but I have gotten more good information from this than any other thread I can recall. Thanks, to all involved.

>>> got_to_love_jde <got_to_love_jde@yahoo.com> 12/14/00 2:18:31 PM >>>
children,
Please quit YELLING at each other.

NT 4.0 SP5, SQL 7.0, One World B7321 SP12.4
--------------------------
Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=2721
This is the JDEList One World / XE Mailing List.
Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
UNSUBSCRIBE can be found at http://www.JDELIST.com

BROWNDN

John,
sorry to bother you but you know this stuff
i'm new to the one world enviroment but i got "volunteered" to head our project up ,as far as the citrix end goes..........i'm trying select hardware now..and have a question,,how much disk space am i looking at on the distribution box and citrix boxes for the apps??
we run compaq servers and i would like to stay with one vendor..
quad versus dual??? seems to me dual would be better?
i'm leaning towards compaq dl360's (there are 1-u's) with 2 gig processors,2 nic's, 2 gig of memory and raid 0 with 2 15k drives.........with 30 users per server (one reason for the 1-u's is space)
on the distribution server i was thinking about a dl380 with raid 5..
windows 2000tse versus wint4 tse
if we use 2000 will we need win2000 upgrade licenses?
do i need a regular backup solution for these servers or can i mirror them?..if data does not change alot it seems like i could just image the servers.

this stuff is new to me so i'd like to size the servers right from the beginning
thanks abunch in advance
David Brown
Libbey Inc.
browndn@libbey.com

Sanjeev_Harrish

Hi there,

Couldn't help noticing your post! We've recently gone down the Windows 2000 TSE route. We're having mixed feelings at the moment. Whilst the stability is there, we're having major performance issues -we access the servers over a WAN link.

Licensing is deep... I've got a white paper I can send you. Briefly, my understanding is that you'll need Windows 2000 CALs (for non 2000 workstations) and a Windows 2000 Terminal Server CAL for every non 2000 workstation that will connect to the Windows 2000 TS. Each machine that connects gets a digital certificate which it holds on to. Hope this helps.

Rgds.,

Sanjeev

owguru

Well Known Member

Sanjeev,

Can you go into a little more detail on your performance issues over the WAN? And give the results of any strategies you've tried so far to address these?

Thanks

owguru (at least I'm trying :)
>all versions
>all platforms