Quotes to the Point

Terry DeMoure

Terry DeMoure

VIP Member
It took me awhile to get the hang of it but quoting a wise man…

I wanted to share a positive suggestion to all users of JDElist. When you feel the need to quote something in your response to a posting, it certainly would make everyone so happy if you would do a little editing in Post box before sending out to post. If you could eliminate everything in your quote, but the pertinent fact(s) you are addressing in your response, more readers could understand your point easier. I would estimate that 99% of JDElist users click the Quote UBB code and then type their response in the Post above the quote. This results in pretty much the entire correspondence from the previous poster, unnecessarily packed into your response. And if half a dozen more respondents do the same, well the thread becomes a huge document and would be a forest killer if you took the paper to print it.

If you feel the need to quote, that's totally okay but edit out everything but the exact words you are addressing. To show a different perspective, think of it as if you were actually voicing your response. Your response to a debate would only include the repeating a short string of words directly associated with your comment. You would probably exclude the entire additional dialog. (i.e., how the other user’s frustrating morning went, their company and job title, and/or system configuration they are on, etc.; all which are not at all applicable to your comment.

Just a helpful suggestion.
grin.gif

Back