Question on the use of OLE media objects

Chekov

Chekov

Hello everyone

I have a general question on the general use of Media objects in E1. Our users want to make use of the row attachments for storing scanned docs and in particular supplier invoices (media object GT0411). Management want to avoid the expense of an external 3rd party solution if possible so we are looking to a workable internal solution with current infrastructure

I have estimated there are some 250k records per annum in total to be stored. In P98MOQUE we map the object queues to a data file share (windows 2003).

The average file size (PDF or TIF) seems to be between 50-100kb per file though for some strange reason when PDF is stored as an embedded OLE object this leaps to >2Mb per file (TIF file remains much the same size)

Does anyone have experience of extensive use of Media objects and can offer some helpful advice on linking vs embedding and on an approach to manageable file storage structures? Does the number of records seem excessive?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Al

Beam me up, Mr. Chekov.

We started down that path. The media object directories have now bloated to over 5 gigs with no way to prune the old stuff. When we got serious about scanning documents, we went with a third party solution. Don't ask me how big that is, I don't support it, but it's ginormous. The other thing we did was move our media objects directory off of the deployment server. We have it hosted currently on a clustered batch server. This gave that element some fault tolerance and disaster recoverablility.

This is Lt. Larkin signing off, star date 05052009.

Not all 3rd party solutions are "expensive", look at our One Attachment Manager, as an example. ;-)

The size blow is likely to do with the fact that you are (unnecessarily, I might add) attaching the files as OLE attachments (BTW, they are also no longer supported in the latest JDE releases). If you were to attach them as files, they should not grow a bit.

Back