Question on JDE migration (moving entire instance to a new data center)

RonWeasley

Hi there...

Need some help here. We have a requirement to move our JDE instance (1 deployment server including server manager, 3 Linux enterprise servers, 3 Oracle database servers, 10 fat clients & 5 WebLogic servers) to a new data center (physically different location). The server short names stay the same but the FQDNs & IPs would change. The old & the new data center are connected via WAN. We have engaged a vendor and they are preparing a plan. We have agreed to a weekend downtime to accomplish this.

I need to validate their plan and since I have no experience in migration, I need some inputs from you guys.

1. how does the enterprise server migration work? Would we need to install the Enterprise Server platform pack afresh or do we need to just copy file structure using some utility?
2. I assume that the Server Manager management console needs to be reinstalled - what about the management agent?
3. Can we migrate the WebLogic based HTML/BSSV servers using some utility? Or do they need to be recreated?
4. Am I right in assuming that any standard d/b replication/ migration tool can achieve our migration tasks or do we need to have the DBAs create the d/b and then run R98403/R98403E to move data?

Any inputs and overall suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Best regards...

Is your JDE instance (where it is currently running) on a VM infrastructure? If so, all you need to is clone those VMs. This will save you the time and hassle of reinstalling.

Yes. On VMs - but the new data center is owned by a separate company. So you mean, that whatever underlying VM technology they use; our VM can be cloned over to their VM infra?

I believe there are conversions between VMWare and Hyper-V, the two most popular VM platforms. If they are on the same VM platform, it will be a no-brainer.

Hi Ron, I have performed a number of migrations for disaster recovery purposes using different locations. I usually go through at least one full scale migration test and see how long it takes, check the RTO and RPO, and then perform the same steps "for real". In general migration between the same VM platform should go smoothly, but many vendors underestimate the time it takes to migrate. Some critical aspects to consider are changes in - 1) network latency (a big increase in system response times may make people irate and affect other systems which depend on JDE), 2) if you are running VMs, are these running on dedicated infrastructure? (shared infra might be slow, or unreliable) and 3) the ability to fail back and resume operations if ever the migration does not go as intended. Feel free to PM me if needed.

Last edited:
Correct - if you are running VMWare, and your "future" data center is also running vmware, then you should be able to "move" your VM's over to the new data center.

Alternatively, if you are running VMWare and your "future" data center isn't running VMWare, you can convert your VM's to an "OVM" file if necessary and then import the OVM into the data centers' virtualization technology.

You can always do "P2V" conversions from a virtualized machine as well to the new system

Lastly, there are many, many conversions out there as well that should help. For example, if you're planning on moving to AWS - there is a specific process that will allow you to convert VMWare to AWS and move vm's quickly.

Believe me, cloning and moving VM's is a LOT faster than going through the effort of reinstalling E1.

Thank you everyone for your response! For some weird legal reasons; we can't 'clone'. We need to rebuild. Business data would be migrated though using some tool. Let me know if you have some points / tips & tricks that you would like to share related to rebuilding the entire JDE infra.

Thanks!

If you're planning on installing the infrastructure from scratch - heres the method. Ensure that the version of JDE matches the existing version - otherwise you're performing an upgrade (and you probably won't want to do that)

1. Install a brand new Deployment Server (OS/JDE/etc)
2. Install a brand new Database server
3. Install the platform packs
4. COPY the \JDE directory from existing Deployment Server over to new deployment server
5. Stop E1Local on both Deployment Servers, copy the DBF files across to the new server and restart
5. Backup the database and restore
6. COPY the \JDE directory from existing platform to new platform

Thats the fastest method. Everything should be named the same, and will end up operating in exactly the same way as before.

If on the other hand, you want to rename anything - then the WLS servers are easiest, the App Servers are harder, deployment server and database the hardest - not impossible, but takes a different path.

I'm certain others can point out ways this can be done - but my suggestion is to "lift and restore" rather than a full install/copy. However, the latter might need to be done - and if so, I'd suggest getting a consultant on site to help.

Ron,

If you already outsourced this to a competent partner, they should be able to guide you through it. Installing a new E1 instance is not that hard, but rebuilding one without the option of cloning requires diligence backed by solid experience. Here are the high level tasks:

• Install Deployment Server, migrate E1 local database
  • Install Server Manager
  • Install Enterprise Servers, copy configuration
  • Install HTML Servers, copy configuration
  • Install Database, migrate data (see below)

Data Migration: Depending on how much data you have (and the network latency), running R98403 may or may not be an option. You may not be able to get it all done in a weekend if your source and destination systems are not on a 1G network.

Hi Hari,
Can you elaborate a little more when you 'Install Enterprise Servers, copy configuration'. We can install the platform pack - but unclear about the copy part.

I need to get paid for this ... :) .. The copy part is just copying your INI file, so you don't have to spend time reconfiguring it from scratch. After installing the platform pack, you also need to install the tools release (this applies to Deployment and HTML servers as well)

Jon - I did not see your response, so mine was mostly a duplication of yours.

Thanks Hari & Jon for your inputs!
Yes, we do have a consultant on-site. But I needed to validate the plan and understand the technicalities to better supervise the work. Your input certainly helped!

Regards...

Back