E9.2 Question about 64-bit upgrade and TR 9.2.6 upgrade

Did you run into any issues with the 64-bit process? It's looking like we will be going from 32-bit to the new Tools and 64-bit at the same time (as well as applying the 64-bit ESUs).. much like your last statement, don't ask but it's basically now or never! Have done countless Tools upgrades but never applying a bunch of ESUs and 64-bit at the same time. Writing out the steps it all seems doable but I am sure there will be bumps.

P.S nice to see fellow Welshman!

Not really. I say not really, CNC did it not me :) Just length of time to run the job that's all. It went well. There was maybe a missing DLL on the ENT server, but we sorted that quick and tried again, all fine.

There's a few of us Welsh folk out there :)

New question: Our DV and PY are upgraded to TR 9.2.6 and 64-bit. We are planning to upgrade PD. Since it may take couple of days to install all 64-bit BSFN, is there any issue if we apply 64-bit ESU to PD while PD is in use by users? We try to reduce the downtime of PD outage for this upgrade.

Of course everyone would like if PD upgrades could be done while the system is running, but some things are worth the sacrifice of some downtime. While I haven't been involved with a 64-bit upgrade, other upgrades I've worked on relied on services being bounced and keeping users out to reduce the possibility of resource contention during the upgrade. Have your CNC put a solid plan together with a realistic expected downtime and explain to the business that some downtime is needed to increase the likelihood of a successful upgrade.

New question: Our DV and PY are upgraded to TR 9.2.6 and 64-bit. We are planning to upgrade PD. Since it may take couple of days to install all 64-bit BSFN, is there any issue if we apply 64-bit ESU to PD while PD is in use by users? We try to reduce the downtime of PD outage for this upgrade.
I maybe wrong but you only need to do the 32 to 64bit conversions once. Then you can use the R98 path code cloning UBE to create the new PD920 objects from your UT920 pathcode etc, R98403 XJDE0013

Of course everyone would like if PD upgrades could be done while the system is running, but some things are worth the sacrifice of some downtime. While I haven't been involved with a 64-bit upgrade, other upgrades I've worked on relied on services being bounced and keeping users out to reduce the possibility of resource contention during the upgrade. Have your CNC put a solid plan together with a realistic expected downtime and explain to the business that some downtime is needed to increase the likelihood of a successful upgrade.
I'm CNC and working out PD cut over plan. In PY upgrade, we still allowed users to connect PY during 64-bit ESU installation. I understood that is PY. For PD, a solid plan is definitely needed to avoid any potential risks.

Applying ESU's doesn't break anything unless you are actively developing stuff that would conflict in PD only (I've seen stranger things.)

Applying ESU's doesn't break anything unless you are actively developing stuff that would conflict in PD only (I've seen stranger things.)
This is what I thought. Applying ESU to PD will not break anything in PD. But objects modified by ESU will be active once we build full PD package and deployed to server. Am I right?

This is what I thought. Applying ESU to PD will not break anything in PD. But objects modified by ESU will be active once we build full PD package and deployed to server. Am I right?
The minute you apply the ESU it's active. Doesn't need a full build. They are like update packages really. Well, depending of how large the ESUs are

If you are on 9.2.6, E1 now has the ability to log users new users onto their current FULL package A whilst you build and deploy a new one, package B
When all users that were using package A sign off, they'll be directed to package B next time they log on.

I don't like this approacj myself as 2 users can in effect act on 2 dfferent versions of an object in the same system

If you are on 9.2.6, E1 now has the ability to log users new users onto their current FULL package A whilst you build and deploy a new one, package B
When all users that were using package A sign off, they'll be directed to package B next time they log on.

I don't like this approacj myself as 2 users can in effect act on 2 dfferent versions of an object in the same system
Our current version is 9.2.4. with 32-bit. The target version for upgrade is 9.2.6.

I've seen some strange things when applying ESU's that CHANGE a DD item. If you have multiple ES's, JAS instances, and/or fat clients some strange things can happen.

Tom

We recently went to 64 bit over the summer. At that time our platform was on 9.2.4.x 32 bit. The first thing we did was install the all of the ESU's from the "Preparing for 64 bit" in change assistant (we did this prior to changing any of the tools components to 64 bit). As a side note, we also took UN5 during this time since we knew we were going to be performing/testing a lot of retrofits already. Once we had the retrofits tested/approved/promoted to production, only then did we begin the 64 bit upgrade process. Even though 9.2.5 was available at the time, we elected to upgrade to 9.2.4.x 64 bit, for no other reason than to minimize the variables for testing (in essence we were performing only a bitness change on the tools release, as opposed to performing a bitness change AND a new tools release).

To answer your last question specifically, yes, you will want to apply the prerequisite 64 bit ESU's before you upgrade your deployment server to the 64 bit tools release. I would also recommend trying to upgrade to the 64bit tools release within your existing tools release (9.2.4) before you try to throw 9.2.5 or 9.2.6 in the mix, just to minimize adding too many variables to an already sizeable project.

-TB
Hi, Do we need a seperate set of servers for 64 bit upgrade

Our 64-bit upgrade already completed several months ago. The production cut over was very smooth. I forgot updating status here. Thanks everyone for your help here.

Back