Product Packaging on XE

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Zoltan_Gyimesi

Legendary Poster
Hi List/Forum,
We just getting started with XE and have to transport some developments (objects, DD items, UDCs, etc., not only add-on but modified OW objects too) from our inhouse system to our partner's one.

Our tech guys currently try first to use Product Packaging and it doesn't work smoothly, further our dead-line is very close.

Has anybody used PP already on XE?
Do you know any pre-requisties (ESU, SP, etc.) to use PP?
Is there any known traps and its resolutions?
Does any good Cook Book or white-paper exist somewhere about PP?

Any help, trick, shared information and experiences will be very-very appreciated!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Zoltán
This time the system is: XE SP 13, Intel NT 4.0

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Zoltan,

I had an awful experience with PP in Xe. The story was, our company started with Xe Beta and the original plan was to transfer all the developed objects to XE GA via PP when GA is released. Unfortunately that didn't work out because of LOTS of bugs in Beta PP. I basically needed to go through every single report used in PP and modify the PO to make the image builder work. Still, the rollout didn't work, though we were able to transfer the DD items. JDE wasn't able to help us as Beta is not officially supported. So, the bottom line is - if you have Beta as your source, forget it.

The JDE manual about PP is, frankly speaking, crap. What's important is that you do all the one-off prerequisites that are specified there. Mind that some data sources specified there are incorrect.

Another thing, you'll probably get a warning after image validation concerning the build step. Ignore that. Also, after building a package, you might need to load the package directory to the corresponding place in Directory structure (use 'Load' button on Directory structure tab) - otherwise the package itself will not be transferred. After generating Deployment.inf file, add a line

Type=02

to the [Application] section. That's more or less it. Now compress the structure and validate it. If you didn't get any errors consider yourself lucky and you are ready for the rollout. With XE GA it shouldn't be a problem.

Any questions, mail me personally.

Kindest regards,
Tel: +852 2686 3116
+852 9406 4239

Dmitry & List/Forum,
At first I apologize to the List/Forum for replying this post here.
I do it because I amn't a subscriber of this List (but the Developers), so I can not figure out Dmitry's e-mail address other way, because it wasn't neither in his reply nor in his profile.

Dmitry,
Would you be so kind as to send your e-mail address mailing me personaly?
At last but not least, lot of thanks for your reply.
Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back