E9.1 Practical Use of the Grid Buffer

FrankCLT

Well Known Member
Hello All,

Can someone explain the practical use of the Grid Buffer? I know you can write to the buffer, manipulate it, and write it back to the grid (GC), and vice versa. I ask because I've never really had the need to use it.

Thank you,
FrankCLT

You have identified the main use, writing records to the grid. I use it all the time when loading a grid "programmatically", usually from jdeCache.

You can use it to 'squirt' your own grid records in from the first row to the last,
OR
Squirt one in as a summary where ever you want as a level break as records are read in and added to the grid. Summary records, information records, whatever you want really

Header and detail lists all in one grid, you can also use it to set focus

InsertGridBufferRow

InsertGridBufferRow​

Last Modified: B733 | June 04, 1998​

InsertGridBufferRow takes the grid buffer values and inserts a grid row in the specified location. After the grid row is inserted, the row will receive focus on update grid.

Parameters

Parameter​
Description​
I/O​
Required​
Notes​
Grid​
Specify grid to be used​
Row​
Specify row location for insert​
Selectable?​
Yes/No - With this line highlighted, does Select work?​
Protected?​
Yes/No - Can this line be edited?​
Updateable?​
Yes/No - Should the Update/Add events be executed for this row?​
Deletable?​
Yes/No - If this row is highlighted, does Delete work?​
Clear After?​
Yes/No - When the operation is complete, should the GBs be cleared of their values?​

Return Values

Return ValueDescription
NoneThis does not return a value

Last edited:
The Grid Buffer in Event Rules is updated immediately, and the Grid Column is updated only after the Event Rules are executed.
If you want to update the values of the fields and immediately use the updated result (for writing to the table, cache or other tasks) Then also use Grd Buffer

Back