PO's and blank entries

Euroboy

PO\'s and blank entries

Hello All

I have a question regarding making entries on PO's mandatory.

The DD field is CO (Company) and the data dictionary is set up so that the 'Allow Blank Entry' is NOT checked. So that means that an entry is required right.

Now I have added that DD field CO to a Processing Options template. If the user puts in an invalid entry it shows up in errir - great!!. But it does'nt flag as anerror when left blank. Whats the solution people.

Thanks

Re: PO\'s and blank entries

Is it possible to set up the PO entry as a UDC?

I did this before when creating a processing option so that the user only has a limited amount of entries to choose from. I'm not sure if you can use this but it's just a thought.
- Set up data dictionary item as UDC then add the item to the PO?

Mike

- One World B733, SP 11.3
- One World Xe B7333, SP 13 Windows NT

I don't think there is a way to make it mandatory on the po form, but you can issue an error when the application is run.

1 - Create a data dictionary error message explaining to the user that the processing option value is required.

2a - If this is an interactive application, check for a po value on Form Dialog Is Initialized. If the po value is blank, set your error on the CO field on the form.

2b - If this is a batch application, then test the po value at the beginning of your driver section. If it is blank, call a custom section that displays an error.

Hope this helps.

owgura (at least I'm trying :)
>all versions
>all platforms

I second Owguru. I suppose that "Allow blank entry" works only for Forms but not for POs.

Sometimes there is a need to make a hard control over user entries when they start an UBE and PO doesn't make it possible. Many times user has to acces one or two of POs but not the others. To accomplish this task you have to make an Interactive APPL for the parameters. The steps are briefly:

1.) Create or extend the interconnect data structure of the UBE with the required entries and with a flag, which indicates that is it called through interconnect or is not.
2.) Replace PO values with RI values in the very first event of your UBE.
3.) Create an APPL with a Revision Form without attaching any BSVW.
4.) Place as many controls for parameters as you like.
5.) Put your logic for value validations and restrictions into the appropriate events of the Form and/or Control, Exits, etc.
6.) Put your UBE interconnect call into an event of the OK button, a Custom Form Exit or a PushButton control.
7.) Pass the validated parameters to the UBE through the interconnect data structure.
8.) Do not let to start the UBE while parameters aren't OK in your event rule logic.
9.) Prevent that the user can start the UBE other way than through this APPL.

I know that it needs a bit more work but sometimes it could be very dangerous when the user can access and modify all of the PO values. I hope, do you agree.

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

Back