PO approval route cleverly avoided

curryj

Well Known Member
Today it came to light that our users can, and have on occasion, jam a PO through and receive it without waiting for their manager to approve it, by doing the following (assume their limit is $1,000):
Create the PO, order quantity 1 of the $100,000 service they require.
On the next line order the same thing again, but with the quantity -1.
The total amount of the PO, being zero, is under their limit, so it sails right through to status 280, ready to print.
Now they can print it, and go into Enter Receipts by PO.
On this screen, they put a 1 by the line with the positive quantity to receive it, and a 9 by the line with the negative quantity to cancel it.
They have now successfully bought an item that's way over their approval limit, with no scrutiny by their manager.
Has anyone else encountered this, and can you think of any way to block it?
I have asked the people on support, but no solution has been offered yet.
Many thanks,

Do not allow order level approvals. If you make the setting a line level ap proval then the only way to circumvent it is to leave the price at zero.=0A =0AJoe Buhajla, CIRM, CSCP=0ASenior Consultant, SWM, CAM, SRM=0AGRT Busines s Solutions, Inc=0Awww.grtbiz.com=0A=0A=C2=A0=0A=0A=0A=0A__________________ ______________=0AFrom: curryj <[email protected]>=0ATo: jdelists [email protected]=0ASent: Tue, January 26, 2010 2:59:32 PM=0ASubject: PO approval route cleverly avoided=0A=0AToday it came to light that our use rs can, and have on occasion, jam a PO through and receive it without waiti ng for their manager to approve it, by doing the following (assume their li mit is $1,000):=0ACreate the PO, order quantity 1 of the $100,000 service t hey require.=0AOn the next line order the same thing again, but with the qu antity -1.=0AThe total amount of the PO, being zero, is under their limit, so it sails right through to status 280, ready to print. =0ANow they can pr int it, and go into Enter Receipts by PO.=0AOn this screen, they put a 1 by the line with the positive quantity to receive it, and a 9 by the line wit h the negative quantity to cancel it.=0AThey have now successfully bought a n item that's way over their approval limit, with no scrutiny by their mana ger.=0AHas anyone else encountered this, and can you think of any way to bl ock it?=0AI have asked the people on support, but no solution has been offe red yet.=0AMany thanks, =0AJon Curry Director of IT Farmers Dairy Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada World A91 System i 520 V6R1 =0A

I don't know how to stop them from creating such a PO, but what about not allowing these persons to do any receiving? May not be possible to make such a change, but it is an idea to think about (that good old separatio n of duties internal control thing).

John Dickey
McCarthy Building Companies
St. Louis, MO 63124
314-919-2264
[email protected]

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of curryj
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:00 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: PO approval route cleverly avoided

Today it came to light that our users can, and have on occasion, jam a PO through and receive it without waiting for their manager to approve it, by doing the following (assume their limit is $1,000):
Create the PO, order quantity 1 of the $100,000 service they require.
On the next line order the same thing again, but with the quantity -1.
The total amount of the PO, being zero, is under their limit, so it sails right through to status 280, ready to print.
Now they can print it, and go into Enter Receipts by PO.
On this screen, they put a 1 by the line with the positive quantity to re ceive it, and a 9 by the line with the negative quantity to cancel it.
They have now successfully bought an item that's way over their approval limit, with no scrutiny by their manager.
Has anyone else encountered this, and can you think of any way to block i t?
I have asked the people on support, but no solution has been offered yet.
Many thanks,

Jo n Curry Director of IT Farmers Dairy Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Worl d A91 System i 520 V6R1

[ QUOTE ]
Do not allow order level approvals. If you make the setting a line level approval then the only way to circumvent it is to leave the price at zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be a tease! Where is this setting?

Back