E9.2 Personal Form - Snap to Grid - Align - Make Neat

sam_b_r

Hi,

I have made a few personal forms to align applications to our user processes, but getting them to be properly in line is an absolute pain - I zoom in (a lot), then use an app called Meazure to draw a grid on the screen and squint. Then when we want to insert something halfway up the page it has to be done all over again.

On Oracle's demo videos the person drags the things roughly into place, then they must just edit out the part where they spend ages getting it perfectly lined up.

Is there a way to do this more easily like editing coordinates? Or is there a way to export the form definition (xml/json?) - I'd quite happily prefer typing in some numbers over my current method, where the form I'm editing needs about 40 items shifting downwards then re-aligning.

Thanks!
Sam

This sounds like an excellent enhancement request for Oracle!
To answer your question, I too struggle to get things lined up neatly given the current simple drag and drop capability.

You guys are are working too hard on this. Not that tough. I always use snap to grid. Its by far the easiest when doing initial layout. I also use the align feature from the menu in FDA. Using CTRL+left/right arrow works great for minor tweaks. you can also use the properties dialog for the controls to view and edit the x/y coordinates and control sizes. You don't need any other tools.

Hi Scott. The original question is about Personal Forms, not FDA form creation/modification. There is no alignment feature when creating Personal Forms.

Hi Scott. The original question is about Personal Forms, not FDA form creation/modification. There is no alignment feature when creating Personal Forms.
oh, got it. :)

I haven't been a fan of customizing forms this way myself. This gripe seems another good reason for me not to use them. lol

If you belong to the Quest user group, you can go and vote for the following enhancement request:

Enhancement #: 13606
Description: Provide Snap-To or Alignment Capability in designing Personal Forms

Thanks for the responses, though slightly disappointing there's no way to do it.
@DSauve is this on the Oracle community pages?

I always use the highest dots per inch on the screen (4 and 4) and also click the form control and make a note of the positions.

You can then manually click into them and look at the Size/Pos tab. Make a note of the Size, Height - Width fields and also the Position, Top - Left
Change them to align perfectly. Very tedious but once you've started positioning you end up flying through it

Don't forget, you can left click and highlight a whole row, then align to the left FC

Last edited:
@johnd - is this possible in Personal Forms? I move and right click but can't see how to see the size and position properties.

I always use the highest dots per inch on the screen (4 and 4) and also click the form control and make a note of the positions.

You can then manually click into them and look at the Size/Pos tab. Make a note of the Size, Height - Width fields and also the Position, Top - Left
Change them to align perfectly. Very tedious but once you've started positioning you end up flying through it

Don't forget, you can left click and highlight a whole row, then align to the left FC
I believe the original post was about Personal Forms, not forms in FDA. The options you listed are in FDA only (unfortunately).

@johnd - is this possible in Personal Forms? I move and right click but can't see how to see the size and position properties.
No as Don pointed out, I mistook the word personal form and thought you meant a custom form in FDA.

You are talking about UDOs yes? So apologies for misreading :)

That said..... if what you create the PF from is pre-aligned in FDA, it may work. Create the personal forms from FDA forms you have previously aligned using what I mentioned ;)
Dont' move them in personal forms, just hide and change colour etc

May help

Back