Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc. Is Live

joy_fernandez

joy_fernandez

Well Known Member
10-3-01
FYI Everyone:

We finally made it - live that is........Twenty four hours and counting.

182 Users over 16 Locations
21 Fat Clients
6 Citrix Server Farm
159 Citrix User

XE Update 2 SP15.1
Oracle 8i

Joy Fernandez, JDE System Administrator
Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc.
830-868-5035
[email protected]

Bravo Joy,

Could you share:
1 The implemented Modules (i.e. Financial, Distribution, ...),
2 The implementation Time, and, if possible,
3 Who did it,
4 How big the team was,
... you know, small historical details like these are ALWAYS good to know, hence they're the Bread & Butter of this List.

Welcome aboard & EnJoy the List,
Adrian
PS I was never that good at math. Therefore my guess is 182 Users do not include the 159 Citrix ones, am I right?

LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806, FormScape 2.1
SANDBOX: Xe SP15 & Update2, Oracle 8i
RS/6000, Citrix

10-4-01
Everyone:

We have a total of 182 JDE/OW users - 23 Fat Clients and 159 Citrix Users.

The implemented Modules were Financials, Human Resources, Payroll (current
number of employees 670), Inventory Management, Warehouse Management,
Procurement and all of Financials.

It has taken us almost two years to go live. We had many business practices
that had to be changed, and because we are an Electric Cooperative, it takes
time for approval of those changes. However, as far as the setup of System
Administration and CNC, the project took us a good six months to be ready.

With it taking so long, we have gone from B7331 to B7332 to Xe. As well as
an Oracle upgrade. So our DBAs and myself have had a lot of learning to do.

Joy Fernandez, JDE System Administrator
Pedernales Electric Cooperative, Inc.
830-868-5035
[email protected]
<<...>>

Visit the forum to view this thread at:
http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=2

Congratulations!
And allow me just a couple of extra questions (hope it's the last batch):
1 How many customized Applications/UBEs do you have?
2 Did you document these objects (or had the business practice prepare their documentation)?
If the answer to #1 is greater than say, 25 AND the #2 is a (too) negative one, I would definitely say you have a situation there!

RS/6000, Citrix

I'd like to have those details as well. We're staring in the face at the beginning of what would appear to be a VERY long road. Much longer than was originally imagined. We're going to bring up the basics like financials, inventory, estimating... and do LOTS of customization to dist. & manuf. including automatic faxing of status to customers, RF barcoding on the shop floor, bridging to an external system, and so on. The original timeframe was given as 12 months for the whole shot starting at pulling the servers out of the boxes.

And Adrian, I'd like a clarification of your comment, if you would please. By "situation" did you mean it looks like it's taken way longer than it should have, or that they've set a record?

---------------------------------
OneWorld Xe SP15
Clustered Windows 2000 + SQL 2000

Hi All ...

First, congratualations to Joy and her team on finally giving birth after a long labor!

For BoaterDan, here's our implementation experience (as another Mfg company).

We are a "engineer-to-order" capital equipment manufacturer. Relatively small in size. Primary mfg facility is in Washington state and with a satellite facility in Kentucky.

We "began" the technical part of our implementation in February '99. User project team / CRP process didn't begin until mid-March. We scheduled for a 9 month implementation of Financials, Distribution, and Manufacturing modules - completely replacing our legacy MRP package (Cincom). We went live in November of '99 - 10 months later. We probably would have hit our initial 9 month plan except for the problems caused by OneWorld's B733 - B733.1 Update (to this day I still don't trust OneWorld's Spec Merge process!).

We made this schedule by keeping customizations to a minimum. We did invest in Optio to handle forms (checks, etc) and electronic communication of documents (faxing/email) to customers and suppliers.

I believe we would not have implemented in this time frame if the company had not made the conscious decision to change our business practices, and, yes, the user community documented their new processes. If there had been more resistance to change requiring more customizations we surely would have taken 12 months or longer. I.T. was spending more than half if its time during the implementation in the pursuit and resolution of bugs in OneWorld - we didn't have time to do major customizations.

Hope this gives you some more perspective.

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

Larry, thanks much for your input.

We are a make-to-order shop. We make around 800 pieces a day, and each one is a custom size and configuration. Needless to say, the legacy custom apps have evolved over the years to provide for very efficient machining, material handling, status tracking, and so on. Re-engineering the processes back to the vanilla capabilities of OneWorld would be to take a 10-year step backwards.

Could you give me some more details on the "we" in your message please? How big was the "team", and what was the makeup in terms of consultants, cnc staff, and so on?

Thanks again.

OneWorld Xe SP15

Our implementation team size was around 20-24 people.
This had key people from almost every functional area plus 4 I.T. people plus 1 - 4 consultants. All technical matters were handled by internal I.T. - no consultants used.
I.T. staff BreakDown:
a) Project Management - 1 - I.T. Manager was the Project Manager
b) CNC / Security Admin - 1
c) Oracle DBA & OneWorld Developer - 1
d) Unix Admin & OneWorld Developer - 1

As previously stated all I.T. staff were spending over 50% of their time supporting user members of the team in learning functional aspects of the software, adapting business processes, and dealing with OneWorld "bugs".

Regards,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

None of them, Dan; what I meant by 'situation' was the time (that finally translates to money) to be spent on a proper Change Control Documentation. Fortunately, Larry had a lot of help from his user community. Others (me included) did not, hence, every time a modified object had to be fixed/improved, it took me more time to figure out its Functionality, and Environment bias versus plain Development. And the ESUs are going to take their toll, too.
And the lack of documentation gets more painful when confronted to major Upgrades (i.e. the move from B732x to B7332/Xe), when you may have to start from scratch within the Business Case/Analysis/Development/QA loop.

RS/6000, Citrix

If you wouldn't mind a few more questions:
> What was the best result to evolve from the project?
> and the biggest dissapointment?
> What would you change in your project that would have made a big difference in the final result (eg, more/less training; more/less consulting; different tools; stronger management support; stronger JDE support)?

Thanks,
Rob

B7332
Oracle
NT

I'd like to hear those answers from anyone who wants to offer their two cents worth :)

OneWorld Xe SP15

Back