E9.2 OVR - watchlists, CAFE One and BI Publisher licence requirements

JohnDanter2

JohnDanter2

VIP Member
Hi all

There are 2 forms of BI Publisher, embedded and enterprise. Am I right in thinking that if my company wants to start using OVR outputs and even watchlists and all the new features in UX One we need to pay Oracle for the Enterprise edition of BIP?

I see conflicting information around the place, both on Oracle and from gold/platinum Oracle partners.

So who uses OVR and creates their own watchlists in PROD and who does NOT have a BIP Enterprise licence (I won't tell the police :))

Thanks

John

OVR really doesn't require watchlists and vice versa, but they bundled that license together for some...errr rea$on. You are allowed to use the prepackaged UX One content you download under a restricted use license, but you're technically not allowed to create new watchlists and OVR content without a full license (at least that was my understanding of it a few months ago and looks to be the case still reading here: Doc ID 2105468.1. I also remember hearing that the OVR / analytic license isn't as expensive as it used to be.

Also, some of the graphs and analytics that gets delivered in the pre made UX One content is actually not OVR at all, it's composed in Oracle Jet. As far as I know, you can do whatever you like with Oracle Jet.

From: E1: GRID: Frequently Asked Questions on how to Configure, Create, and Manage OneView Watchlists (Doc ID 2105468.1)
One View Reporting has a separate license, but for UX One a restricted use license has been created so that customers will be able to access all of the content delivered with UX One pages at no additional charge as long as they have a license for the underlying JD Edwards module.
Review the FAQ for more details about the restricted use license for UX One.
That FAQ PDF should answer some questions around watchlists. As TFZ already said, once you go beyond the delivered ones you will need the OnewView foundation license.

Concerning the use of BI Publisher Enterprise:
A license to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne products includes a restricted use license to Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher (BI Publisher) to publish and/or view:
  • Shipped BI Publisher reports for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. Layout changes are allowed, AND
  • Shipped or newly created BI Publisher reports for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne that are modified to access data from the existing JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications schema that has not been customized.

• A full use license to Oracle Business Intelligence Publisher is required if any shipped modified or newly created BI Publisher report for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne:
    - Accesses data from a non-JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications data source, OR
    - Accesses data from a new schema within the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications that is not shipped by Oracle, OR
    - Accesses data from a modified JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications schema (e.g. by adding columns to an existing table).
Source: https://docs.oracle.com/en/applicat...tml#GUID-CD80C145-5CEB-457A-9B85-55FE2A5DC576

OVR really doesn't require watchlists and vice versa, but they bundled that license together for some...errr rea$on.
Also, some of the graphs and analytics that gets delivered in the pre made UX One content is actually not OVR at all, it's composed in Oracle Jet. As far as I know, you can do whatever you like with Oracle Jet.

Yeah I know. I just think it's the 'reporting' technology behind it that links the 2. Go and query the DB then do something, be it count the total (watchlists) or make a pretty graph, OVR.

Thanks for the help

From: E1: GRID: Frequently Asked Questions on how to Configure, Create, and Manage OneView Watchlists (Doc ID 2105468.1)

That FAQ PDF should answer some questions around watchlists. As TFZ already said, once you go beyond the delivered ones you will need the OnewView foundation license.

Concerning the use of BI Publisher Enterprise:

Source: https://docs.oracle.com/en/applicat...tml#GUID-CD80C145-5CEB-457A-9B85-55FE2A5DC576
Many thanks for all of this.

There's a lot of reading there, but even on the surface it's not clear. Plus I'm not sure how Oracle would ever know you've made watchlists lol

Ok thanks

I find this bit confusing though

Q: Can I change the query used by an Oracle-delivered One View watchlist included in a page? A: Yes. Queries are a stand-alone feature that is not a part of One View. Users have the ability to create, edit, and manage queries based on their license of EnterpriseOne Tools.

Q: Can I create a new One View watchlist?
A: No. A full use license of One View Reporting Foundation is required to create new One View watchlists.

Now if I wanted to make a watchlist over F4211 in P4210 I can't. But if I find an existing a one, then I can modify it.
That's my take on it anyway.

I would like to use watchlists on man E1 custom tables, so I think I'd tell my manager to start asking for a licence :)

It doesn't hurt to call, I don't know the cost but I think just the plain One View licenses is probably not as bad as it used to be. Better to get it now then later and have Larry make you buy 11 million dollars worth of OCI stuff to offset your egregious misues of watchlists! :)

Hi all

Sorry to revive this but can someone out there who is using Watchlists and One View Foundation kindly share the kinds of $ figures Oracle ask please?
Now we are live with 9.2 I've given upper management the details of what we need to get Watchlists up and running (custom ones etc) and they've spoken to Oracle and got a quote which is astronomcical.

I would have thought the basic One View Foundation licence to make you own watchlists etc would not be that expensive. The BIP Linked OVR side that can produce graphs etc I can understand the price, but the little watchlist bubbles indicating counts of a query, I am shocked that OVR foundation costs so much.

So I just wanted to see if we are being misquoted, misunderstood or ripped off lol
Ours is some $100K plus!!!

I may be foggy, but I sort of remember the last client I had with watchlist license questions we had a call with Oracle and found the higher costs were for users that could create watchlists, not those who would use them. So they limited the "create" to 5 to keep the cost down.

I may be foggy, but I sort of remember the last client I had with watchlist license questions we had a call with Oracle and found the higher costs were for users that could create watchlists, not those who would use them. So they limited the "create" to 5 to keep the cost down.
OK thanks, I didn't realise there was a distinction

If there is great!!! As there only be a handful of us in the global company making these kinds of things....but it would be good to embrace their idea of citizen developers. It's just they don't push the fact you have to pay for it lol

OK thanks, I didn't realise there was a distinction

If there is great!!! As there only be a handful of us in the global company making these kinds of things....but it would be good to embrace their idea of citizen developers. It's just they don't push the fact you have to pay for it lol
From what I remember an OVR Foundation license is required for anyone who wants to use a watchlist, not just for people who would create them. But do confirm with your "friendly/easy to work with" Oracle Sales Rep :). The list price for OVR foundation was $1,150 per user, of course, you never pay the list price for any Oracle product. But still a very expensive solution in my mind for just the watchlist functionality. If you are interested in an alternative commercial solution that's far more economical I can PM you more details.

Yeah, it definitely is a "your results may vary" type of thing pending sales rep - but I dug back in my email - and the sales rep did indeed charge my client for 5 OV Foundation licenses for "creators only". I do agree that it is a bit ridiculous to charge for whats basically a query that runs over and over again... but hey.....

Sorry to drag this up again, but now we've fallen in love with using WATCHLISTs people want more!!!

Is it crystal that the licence is only to create and not to consume? As we've been told differently. Also am I right in thinking the licence only applied to PROD, not Non PROD.
We can do what we like in the test systems, right?

Unfortunately John - I don't think getting crystal clear is easy these days. The info I had previously shared was forwarded to me by a client who was negotiating with a sales rep, and that's definitely what it says there. I can try poking around more next week.

Back