Out of Office bounce backs from forum members?

kzed

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question, I can't see how to directly communicate with forum admin. Since posting on the JDE apps forum, which was my first post, I keep getting emails which are 'out of office auto reply' type emails from various people who I assume are members, referencing my post in the subject line. Any way to stop these? I've had about 7 or 8 and got another today and I didn't even post anything.
A bit weird/concerning that my email addy is being sent to so many people. Is this to do with posts being submitted for moderation before publishing? If so, why am I still getting emails when I am not posting?
Thanks

These aren't just forums, they are also mailing lists. Your posts are sent to people who have subscribed to the forum's mailing list.

It's a never ending battle. I suggest that you place a filter within your email client and direct anything with Out of Office in the subject line to the trash. We have tried unsubscribing people for this in the past but it doesn't help.

so my email address is broadcast and now in the mailbox of whomever subscribes to the forum? that sux. I will set up a 'jdlist' only email address me thinks and see what sort of spam I end up with.

I'm not sure why this should surprise you. Many forums do this. It also says this within the description of the forum:

This Forum is integrated with the JDELIST Applications Mailing List.

It's a surprise because I subscribe to quite a few forums, and administer a couple, and all of these the user's email address is not broadcast to the public. Admin has the email so they can contact the membership only. Where there are mailing lists, the mail contains a link to the post or forum and all communications are via the forum, or pm. The description that the forum links with the JDEList mailing list doesn't really tell me the method that you use to publish the mailing list.

Look, it's no biggy - I've set up an email for the purposes of this forum. But seeing as you expressed surprise at my surprise, I thought it worth an explanation.

Now I'm curious. Do the forums with the mailing list allow the subscriber to respond to the post via email? Thanks for your feedback.

Eric,

I have received emails directly to me, without going via the forums, in response to posts I have made. The edit user profile web page (accessed from MY Home) contains the following parameter, which I have completed (I assume that this is the "real email address" mentioned in the FAQ - see below):

Email Address (displayed as from address in mailing list posts)

I assume that is how it is possible. I also assume that it is this address that JDEList uses to email subscriptions/notifications. There is also the following parameter on the edit user profile page which I have not completed:

Email address (displayed on posts)

These are the only two email address entry fields that I have found. With the entries I have completed, there is no email displayed on the display user profile web page (accessed by clicking a user's user id).

I hope the above information helps remove your confusion.
cool.gif

The following is contained in the FAQ:

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you ask for two email addresses?

The real email address is used for email notifications and forum subscriptions and to email your password. The other is what other users see when they view your profile. We realize that some people don't want everyone to know their normal email address, but we need to know it in case you want to subscribe to a forum or if you want to have replies emailed to you. For this reason you can give us your real email address that only we will see and you can provide a different one for the general public. Some people like to put in something like [email protected]. This way people can still figure out what your real email address is, but spamming agents can't just parse through the page and spam you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm always interested in protecting forum contributor's privacy when I can. Perhaps it is time for a mailing list change where the from address would be <forum>@jdelist.com and not posters email address.

Back