Order vs Line Type?

Mattiosco

Hi List,

We have a change in our business that requires us to have a slightly different process stream for some orders.

In the area concerned, we already have four different order types for various uses, plus the different types for credit orders.

We don't use line types to differentiate non-stock or freight items, this is done at the item level.

Very briefly, the new requirement is that some orders will need to be handled slightly differently in reporting and some batch processing. Simply flagging these orders as belonging to this new group is all we're after so data selection can be used when differentiation is required. I cannot find a suitable Sales Order Detail flag, with all UPC and a couple of the user reserved fields in use.

I have proposed that a new order or line type be set up to handle this new requirement. I prefer the line type, only because a lot of our batch processes and external routines are order type specific so the impact on existing processes would be very high. The only problem I see with line types is it looks like they are intended for separating AR, AP, G/L and Inventory processing through the "channels" designed around the order types - not for use as a "flag".

Is anyone using line types as an order flag, purely for differentiation in reporting or the occasional batch process? Or is anyone using any other Sales Order detail fields for the same purpose.

Thanks in advance,

Mattiosco
JDE 8.12

Hi,
try to use reason code (rcd) this can be a good choice;
if you use line type you need to set up your flow and if the pourpose is flagging the line at order level reason code can solve your problem.

Let me know what will be your choice.

Regards

Bruno Condemi

Thanks Bruno,

As far as I can tell, this is an item return reason code, selected from a UDC. Is this the field you use, just adding the required codes to the UDC table as you go?

Have you seen any unexpected impact in other areas of JDE?

Thanks again for your feedback, I will include using Reason Code as an option to implement the change.

Yes, just fill your UDC and use uour field.

I just use this solution on a complex business evironment to differenciate order for invoice processing and BI pourpose in a complex distribution environment (all version of R42565 have a specific rcd list of value). No impoact on other area.

Hi Mattiosco,

Have you checked using the 'end use' preference? can be used to map specific values in the sales order line, and later on be used in data selection.

Thanks both,

Bruno, your scenario looks similar to ours so it's looking like a proven option for an order flag - thanks a lot.

Andre, we already use the end use code for a couple of different scenarios during processing by SQL stored procedures so I am reluctant to throw another flag in there as we are likely to get "crossed wires". Thanks for your suggestion though - for anyone else reading this post, while not what it is designed for, End Use is definitely a good order flag option.

Cheers,

Mattiosco

Back