(from today's Washington post)

If Oracle were to purchase Peoplesoft, and then turn around and then not
purchase JDE, I think it could spell certain death for JDE..anyone have
thoughts on this?

John

Xe, Update2, SP16
SQL2k, Win2k
Metaframe 1.8a

My prediction - IBM will enter the fray, and within 12 months, JDE will be owned by IBM.

Again speculation.

PeopleSoft, Oracle (and SAP) are "large market" players; JD Edwards, a medium market player. To say that this (Oracle/PS) is the death knell for JDE assumes that the new conglomerate is not only going to go through the pain of merging, but is going to go trolling in a pond in which they are not familiar. A couple of extremely BIG ifs...

I think this is very valid reasoning. I can't see Oracle bothering with JDE if it is successful in the hostile bid for PeopleSoft.

A side question to all out there:
Who is running JDE One World with the largest number of users ?

And no matter how it turns out, this has been a wildly interesting week, eh ?

Dave

Oracle acquires Peoplesoft, and renigs on the JDE venture. IBM then picks up JDE, to maintain the AS/400 DB/2 status. After IBM Acquires JDE, M$ will acquire IBM(merging JDE into its Great Plains acquisition), the EU will call a halt to everything, the Canadians will request we all go back to DOS 3.1 and Korean Memory Prices will sag well below those of the Yankees...

How bout we speculate on what we know... for the forseable future... the companies that have invested in JDE will continue to need Developer/Analyst support - and we will be there for them. Until such a time that 'the big bang' occurs... the 'worker bees' will be busy working on JDE - while the Corporates determine what direction they are gunna go.

I can't fathom that any company that has made the large investment to JDE - will be quickly walking out of the platform... Thus, security for 18 months to three years, minimum...

Daniel

Jeremy

You have some of the best OneWorld skills around - but you're crystal balls are cracked my freind.

No matter whats going on in the marketplace, there is NO way that IBM would purchased JDEC or ANY erp vendor except SAP - since the majority of revenues that IBM receives for Enterprise implementations come from SAP customers. Owning any other ERP vendor would destroy almost 20% of IBM's revenues (which if you work it out is extremely considerable).

No - the only players here are JDEC, PSFT, ORCL and MSFT. Of course Invensys could come charging around the corner !

What this proves is that we are in an economic recovery (good news) and that JDEC didn't plan/manage the company so that the financial results recently seen were obviously horribly lower than the rest of the industry sector. ORCL and PSFT have surged ahead in the past few months, and are obviously looking for opportunities to jump ahead.

ORCL buying PSFT makes sense with ORCL attempting to get back into the application marketplace. All of these announcements are jostling for position. This happens all the time, its just the first time its happened in our sector.

Right now, hang on for the ride. You'll see companies being acquired, and then product lines being spun off. When the dust settles, my prediction is that SAP will still be on top.

Industry analysts were quoted a little earlier that IBM was absolutely staying well clear of this debacle.

I was wondering if Siebel wanted to get into the fray ? Or maybe JDE tries to buy Lawson ? Of course we still haven't heard from MSFT....

I dread the thought of being a Larry Ellison customer. Oracle is going to have a tough time competing with a combined Psft/Jdec. I can't think of 1 jde customer that I know of that would want to be an Oracle customer. Ellison is to trying to create a perceived FUD (fear,uncertainty, and doubt) in his competitions product. I am glad Conway has responded so strongly.

I agree that there is consolidation coming, but for totally different reasons. The economy will not be in a technology recovery for several months. Tech investments come on the tail end of the cap investment cycle. I think that the low hanging fruit have already made there major investments in ERP. So, future new software sales revenue is going to be pretty lean for quite awhile. The positive economics of ERP vendor consolidation comes from reduced competition, job elimination and maintenance/consulting revenue not from additional tech investments.

Watch the little guys die like guppies in

Dream on. No matter how you slice it, JDEC consulting is on a mile-high, I-70 Denver decline.

Back