Oracle 9i to 10g Upgrade

badda_bing

Well Known Member
As part of our plan to upgrade to Tools Release 8.98, Oracle has advised us to upgrade our database version to 10g beforehand (followed by the 8.98 upgrade and then a 11g upgrade, and so on).

We are in the process of upgrading one of our test databases from Oracle 9i to 10g (10.2.0.4) on our test HP-UX Server.

The database we have upgraded is attached to our DV811 env/pathcode which is referenced within the JDE.INI file and is therefore used at the point of starting the JDE services. However, the services are failing to start and the porttest (without Security Server enabled) gives us the following error:

Running porttest for PSFT on DV811...
Initializing Environment DV811.....
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Unresolved symbol: yp_get_default_domain (code) from /TP/JDEOneWorld/TP/PeopleSoft/E811/system/lib/libora101"

This error message is also logged within the "jdenet_n.log" - it is apparent the services are not getting as far as making a connection to the database.

When we switch the system back to using the 9i database (ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID via entepriseone.sh) and an env/pathcode without any data sources in the 10g database (via JDE.INI) the services start without a problem.

We currently have Oracle and HP looking at the issue.

We have all the patches listed in the MTR's/Certifications.

Any ideas? experience of this issue? any HP-UX PA RISC shops out there running a similar version configuration?

Many thanks

What Tools Release are you upgrading from? Do you have libora101.sl on your Enterprise Server, somewhere in JDE's system directory?

What Oracle "Client" version were you running - was it still using the 9i client?

....... was his name-o?????

Not sure of the significance of the 64bit client? In our enterpriseone.sh we have it pointing to ORACLE_HOME/lib32 as opposed to ORACLE_HOME/lib which is required for the 64bit client for 8.97 and earlier.

EDIT: Just realised how silly that answer is!! What I should have said is while we have the 64bit client installed, we are using the 32bit one as per above. My answer to altquark was obviously also wrong!

I have an update based on the call we have open with HP.

They advised us that libora101.sl was failing to find /usr/lib/libnsl.sl and therefore we needed to run the following command “export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libnsl.sl” to add an entry to the environment variables.

This worked and we are now able to run PORTEST both with and without the security server and start the services.

We are still waiting for an explanation from Oracle (It is not mentioned on any of the special instructions) or HP (Was something in the OS causing this to be needed to be run) as to why we needed to do this.

We are also waiting for a longer term solution as adding this to our .profile as suggested to us does not sit that well given that nobody seemed to know this needed to be done in the first place.

is your JDE user using a different shell type than a C shell ? If, for example, you chose to change the shell type to, say, Bash, then you'll likely have to set your .profile that way.

Glad that you found your issue out. My bet was that you didn't have the 32bit client installed - but I'm glad I was wrong (!)

Yes, we are running ksh.

While it now works, we can't quite grasp why as after we ran the LD_PRELOAD and everything (Porttest/Services) worked, we rebooted the box and everything (Porttest/Services) now works fine without running LD_PRELOAD again? And yes, we did bounce this box as a part of the troubleshooting for this issue in the first place????? We are waiting on HP to explain this as well.

Back