Opinions on Recurring Journal Entries

adolphsendl

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on recurring Journal Entries under the General Accounting/Periodic Processes/Allocation. Management wanted users to set up recurring entries. Currently they copy entries they used in previous months. I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the benefits are of using the recurring entry process instead of copying journal entries. The users have about 10 recurring entries a month at the most. They feel it is more time consuming to run the recycle process and posting process. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

We aren't using the Scheduler, so I recommend to our users that they just create and copy Model Journal Entries instead of using Recurring Journal Entries. I think the real value in Recurring Journal Entries is best recognized if you are using Scheduler to run the Recurring JE Compute and Print, and maybe even the R09801 to post the recurring batch that is created.

I have had clients use recurring entries over models as well as the other way around.

Recurring entries advantage:
• Setup to prevent “accidentally” changing the entries.
• GL date advances automatically so one always knows that they were run and not forgotten about and run for one time only preventing duplication.

Models:
•Allows you to change amounts, account# etc.
•Can run more than once per period if need be.

Yes, recurring entries can take about 10 seconds longer to process.
smile.gif

Back