OLEDB SQL Server Issue with 8.9

cdawes

VIP Member
I was reading through the doc "OLEDB SQL Server Issue" (OTM-04-0003) that basically says that SQL server using OLEDB on WIn2003 isn't good so go back to ODBC. Just wondering how many people out there are running SQL 2000 on Win2003 and have had issues with 8.9?

I've seen one instance but I'm at another location running Win2K and SQL 2000 and haven't seen any issues. Just thinking that it might be better to leave well enough alone but I don't want to get stung in the future.

Colin

We aren't using SQL for our primary business data datasource, but we do have a SQL server datasource connection for specific tables as part of a point solution. We use JDBNET to get our UNIX server to communicate with MSSQL using the DSN on the Win2K server. Originally this was configured on the same box, but I've sinced helped migrate the database off to a SQL cluster for consolidation purposes. My original intent was to use OLEDB for the connection, but it simply never worked properly. Our CNC consultant decided to try it using ODBC - which I was under the assumption is going to be deprecated by Microsoft - and guess what, it works a lot better. The docs from JDE/PeopleSoft at the time stated "better performance" if using the OLEDB driver, but if it's going to cause problems and actually hurt performance, what's the point? I guess our other option would be a native ODBC driver for UNIX, but that is a project for another day.

We have moved Control Tables to ODBC again, created a specific datasource and roled that out.

It has really speeded up the system now.... but we have left Business Data using OLEDB otherwise we found we had problems with the UTB (that you could work around but it was a pain)

I understand this is a well known issue at Peoplesoft though and they are looking at improving this performance issue.

Back