OAS Clustering on 10.1.3.1.0

s_cambric

We are preparing for a upgrade from 8.96.1.0 to 8.97.1.2. Currently we have 6 web servers clustered in 10.1.2.0.2 DCM managed Cluster.

With 8.97 10.1.3.1.0 is now a requirement. 10.1.3.1.0 Isn’t a full product release for Oracle Application Server, so not all the same components are available in that were available in 10.1.2.0.2, like DCM. In 10.1.3.1.0 you would use ONS, which according to a link I found on the customer connection site isn't licensed for use with the Tech Foundation subscription that comes with E1 : http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B31017_01/core.1013/b28941/cluster_no_ons.htm

So I was interested to hear if anyone has implemented an OC4J cluster with 10.1.3.1.0 using ONS and if there were any license issues associated with it?

I have installed it and had no problems with licensing (neither technical nor administrative).

Could you post the link or the text of the link that you are referring to?

This is the email recieved from E1 Support:

I wanted to follow up with another note from our Project Strategy group:
Here is a link to some Oracle documentation that describes how to cluster OAS without using the Oracle Notification Server (the "hard way"):
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B31017_01/core.1013/b28941/cluster_no_ons.htm
With the Oracle Technology Foundation license we include Oracle Internet Application Server Java Edition, which does not allow the use of ONS. If a customer wants to do some fancy clustering using ONS, they have to uplift to Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition.

This is important to us because in any of our documentation, red papers, solutions, etc. we need to clearly state the requirements for a clustered solution. Hopefully you can proceed with your OAS/Server Manager clustering work without the need for any features beyond Java Edition. In this way we can maintain this position:
1. A customer can cluster OAS with Java Edition according to the documentation in the link above. This is probably good for scalability and load balancing, but not too good for fail-over. This falls within the license for Oracle Technology Foundation.

2. If a customer wants to employ ONS for better HA/fail-over, they can do this with JDE E1, but they have to uplift their license of OAS first.
I hope that helps, too.

Bryan

Back