[Newbie] Subsystem and R42565

Philippe-FR

Hello,

first of all I apologize for the probably stupid question I will ask here. I have to deal with a JDE E1 system in the company I work for. We have performances issues and one possible solution is called "subsystem" but we can unfortunately get a clear answer on the limits of this.

Here is the situation : we have 23 warehouses where people are selling goods to cutomers. Obviously, they have to print invoices. For this, 23 versions of the R42565 program have been created. All these version are run on the same and mono-thread queue. As time goes by during the day, the "waiting time" in queue of each submitted job increase. At the end of the day, the time it takes to get the invoice can be more than half an hour.

Question 1 : R42565 seems to be a program that, according to the litterature we have found, the guys we asked to and the Oracle support, must be run on a mono-thread queue. It's true that we have had some bad experience in the past, running multiple R42565 at the same time ending in mixed informations printed on the invoices. It is also said that "you can run multiple R42565 if they use different data selection". The question I never got a clear answer to is : "can we run multiple R42565 jobs (with different data selection) on multiple single threaded queues or do we have this job only once at a time on the entire system ?". In the first solution, the idea might be to have for example 23 mono-threaded queues. We could then run up to 23 R42565 jobs at the same time, but at any time, only one job of a specific version would be running. You see what I mean ?

Later on, someone told us "why don't you use subsytems ?". Great idea, but once again, we can not make a clear idea of how to set up all that properly.

If I try to compare this to some real life situation, I have found that subsystems compares to business class desk at the airport when you register for a flight : if you have a business class ticket, you don't have to queue with people travelling in economy, you have a special desk. The idea is that both desk are doing the same thing (they register your cases) but you have some special element that allow you to use one queue instead of the other.

Question 2 is : we have 23 warehouses. We have created 23 R42565 versions, each version specifying the warehouse id it is intended to. Could we create 23 subsystems to run on each a specific version so that each warehouse would be able to print invoices without any delay ? what about the multiple R42565 jobs running at the same time (cf question 1 above) ?

Once again, I apologize for the question, wich is certainly due to a lack of knowledge on JDE. Unfortunately, among all the (said) experienced (and exepensive) experts we talked to about this, none could give us a clear and efficient answer ...

Regards,
PhC.

Hello Philippe,

First, what business need, or IT shortcoming, drives the use of 23
versions of R42565? Are the warehouses in different countries?

Russell Karnap
[email protected]

In a message dated 8/3/2010 1:11:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

Hello,

first of all I apologize for the probably stupid question I will ask here .
I have to deal with a JDE E1 system in the company I work for. We have
performances issues and one possible solution is called "subsystem" but we can
unfortunately get a clear answer on the limits of this.

Here is the situation : we have 23 warehouses where people are selling
goods to cutomers. Obviously, they have to print invoices. For this, 23
versions of the R42565 program have been created. All these version are ru n on
the same and mono-thread queue. As time goes by during the day, the "wait ing
time" in queue of each submitted job increase. At the end of the day, the
time it takes to get the invoice can be more than half an hour.

Question 1 : R42565 seems to be a program that, according to the
litterature we have found, the guys we asked to and the Oracle support, mu st be run
on a mono-thread queue. It's

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Philippe,<br><br>First, what business need, or IT shortcoming, drives the use of 23 <br>versions of R42565? Are the warehouses in different countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello,
The warehouses are in the same country but located in different cities. The versions have been created (as far as I know) to ease the user's work, by pre-selecting (and locking) some datas used as search criteria.

Regards,
PhC.

Hello,

without trying to understand exactly why you need 23 different versions, the answer is yes you can create as many subsystem processes as you like if they are selecting on mutually exclusive data selection. I have worked for many years with subsystems and they are invaluable for high volume sites.

We normally have some logic at back end of previous process (eg. ship confirm) which would identify the required version of R42565 to trigger. Criteria could be based on customer, warehouse etc..

We have at 1 customer site over 100 subsystem processes which push orders through EDI to invoicing. The aim being that no single process is a bottleneck. Think of a hosepipe, if you stand at one end the whole flow is stopped. Subsystems helps the data flow through by efficient use of caching and without need to close files.

Back