Newbie question: Where are JDE Business functions located?

aiik05

A newbie question:

In order to run JDE custom business functions, using JDE connector, are these business functions, in form of DLL's, embedded in client application or have to be installed on some JDE server?

If case of a second option, can that be made to work on JDE Standalone (Demo) installation, or full installation must be used?

Thanks a lot,
David

I totally recommend that you attend or obtain the JDE EnterpriseOne Foundation training which will explain items like this.

In a nutshell, however, Business Functions (encapsulated code developed to provide certain amount of business functionality) is an integral part of the JDE functionality. Business functions are either developed in the JD Edwards Toolset (called "Named Event Rules" - which become precompiled into Ansi C code) or directly in ANSI C. Business functions get compiled as part of the package build process, and are delivered as runtime objects in the form of DLL's (or other library types depending on the platform compiled). Because JDE is "platform independent" it is important to ensure all coding is ANSI C - and not use extended libraries (such as C++ etc).

Business function code is delivered wherever JDE runs - so they exist on Fat Clients (including standalone) or on the JDE Application Servers.

Java Application Servers do not have business functions locally - and must communicate using the proprietary JDENet messaging middleware to the Oneworld/E1 Application Server and have those servers run the business function logic for them.

Not all functionality is delivered as part of a business function. Much functionality is delivered in event rules that are interpreted at runtime on the different platforms. These are referred to as Specifications. Specifications "call" business functions.

"Standalone" is delivered with ALL functionality of JDE - everything is just "mapped" to run locally. That is why it is incorrect to call Standalone a "Demo" (inferring it doesn't have all the functionality - but even so we do refer to the standalone version as "Demo Jr")

All Business Function API's are published on the JD Edwards knowledge garden, and the same documentation can be generated in your installation.

In the form that you're looking at (JDE Connector) - the connector architecture goes from a JDE JAS Server (which doesn't have business functions locally) and can only communicate via JDENet to a JDE Application Server. You cannot have a JAS server communicate to a Fat Client (Standalone) - because some of the foundation for a JDE Application Server (JDENet_N) is missing from a client.

Another, alternative method of communicating directly with JDE is to utilize "ThinNet" or "xmlCallObject" (which is a way of making Business Function requests in XML format directly against a JDE Application Server - bypassing the need for a "connector" or other middleware) - but I presume with yesterdays announcement, that JDE want to get rid of that method of communication.

Hope that helps. I've tried to summarize as much as I can - but believe me, its probably missing some important information. Best to get yourself on some basic JDE Training and then get more information as far as Java Connector training is concerned !!!

[ QUOTE ]
but I presume with yesterdays announcement, that JDE want to get rid of that method of communication.

[/ QUOTE ]

What announcement would that be?

Thanks for this comprehensive answer. Just one related thing: Is there Oracle's official documentation for JDE's built-in business functions? I couldn't find one, and Knowledge garden site that you mentioned seems to be discontinued.

Thanks,
David

Hi,

This is the URL where you can find information about the JDE Business Functions.

http://bsfn.road2fusion.com/search/search.php

Hope this helps....
smile.gif

Cheers,
Chintan.

Back