Need advice on user setup (upgrade from 8 to 9)

pduncan

pduncan

We are upgrading our system from 8 to 9. I am familiar with setting up users in 8, but having some difficulty creating some test users in 9.
I think it's the transition from menus to tasks/roles that is hanging me up...

I need to set up several test users in 9.
I have started by creating a new role, then adding application and action security to that role (using the test user's erp 8 group settings in security workbench.).
I assume at some time I will need to add a "*public, *all - deny all" line in 9 at some point.
I guess I now need to do some menu filtering to only show them the apps they need for their roles? Then set up my printers, assign them, etc.

can someone step me through correctly setting up a user? I have searched the forum but could not find specifics....

(btw - I am kind of new to CNC - but have taken several Oracle classes. I think I know the concepts of what needs to be done - its just the actual application of the concepts that is getting me).

Any suggestions, tips or advice is greatly appreciated!

I generally work on creating the security records at about the same time as I create a custom menu structure and do the menu filtering of the custom menu. The 2 activities go hand-in-hand in my way of thinking.

I try not to filter the main "EnterpriseOne Menu" task view as that activity consumes a lot of time for little gain, as I always make it a Secured Task View, and only grant the custom task view to the ordinary users.

For initial access, the power users generally need to explore the new system first, and I don't place restrictions on their access, until such time as they have the custom menu structure laid out, and we can work on locking down security for the roles they want to define.

As for creating a new user, I usually go in this order:

pre-requisite 1 - Roles have been defined
pre-requisite 2 - An Address Book record has been created for the user, necessary if you are using the Work Center at all

1 - Create the user ID
2 - Assign the role or roles needed (one big change for you is the concept of users having multiple roles, ERP 8 only allowed users to be in one group)
3 - If the user is not supposed to access all the environments that is allowed by their role(s), then assign the proper environment list to the user ID (otherwise, leave it alone)
4 - Create the user ID/system alias association in "User Security"

Some people here may recommend purchasing 3rd party tools that can more easily define and create the security for you. I haven't used any of them, so I can't recommend one over the others.

Hope this helps.

Back