E9.2 Naming Conventions > Item Master

tknechtges

tknechtges

New to JDE. We are in the middle of an implementation and are working on cleaning our item master. We have quite a few item numbers in our old ERP that contain special characters (like #, $, &, ^, ~). Is there a list someplace on what is allowed for JDE in the item number field? I am assuming these aren't allowed, but aside from loading the file and having them bomb in the load, we are looking to make sure our source data is as clean as possible. I checked a few sites, and see the field is numeric - so I am just checking - are any special characters allowed in the part number in JDE (9.2)?

The short item number (ITM) is numeric and is unique for each item however the 2nd Item number is an alphanumeric field that you could use for your item numbers that you are bringing over from your legacy system. 2nd Item number is what a lot of organizations use for their actual item number and short item is just a unique key if you will for the item. I hope that helps!

It's also worth mentioning that there's a 3rd item number (AITM) in addition to the 2nd item number (LITM) - both of which are 25 characters. But both LITM and AITM have a unique constraint/index - something to keep in mind when porting data into JDE. This probably doesn't fit your use case, but if you don't need to use 2nd or 3rd item as a cross reference, it's probably a good practice to set them to be the same value to avoid duplicate key problems - so don't try to join them together to make a 50-character item reference.

Back