My "Take" on what is happening with JDE today....

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
My \"Take\" on what is happening with JDE today....

One toolset to rule them all.
One CEO to find them
One Larry to buy them all
and in the darkness bind them...

Ed paused, and then said slowly in a deep voice: 'This is the Master-toolset, the One tool to rule them all. This is the One Tool that he lost many ages ago, to the great weakening of his power. He greatly desires it -- but he must not get it.'
---------------------------------------------

I was asked by a couple of people for "my take" on todays conference call - and, to be honest, I'm trying to work it all out, just like everyone else.

However - in the first few hours of the conference call, we're bound to see some pessimism and some hopeless optimism coming from all sides of the story.

Therefore, I wanted to not analyze the Oracle call - because, at the end of the day, we really don't know WHAT is going to happen - but instead to analyze another call - the press release from Peoplesoft that identified the roadmap for JD Edwards and Peoplesoft - back in September of 2003. Much of this echoes what Larry came up with today.

1. Key among its announcements was the extended support the company promised to provide to PeopleSoft v.8 and J.D. Edwards 5.

Notice that the majority of todays call was centered around "positive news" for those Xe customers that might have had support dropped next month ? Larry shows himself to be a great benefactor by doing this and defending customers against the evil Peoplesoft corporation from forcing you to upgrade. In reality, this was on the cards anyway - and did not take more than a single braincell to come up with this strategy.

2. The next release -- 8.9, set to roll out in Q2 2004 -- has been renamed "Kapalua" (yes, after the resort beach in Hawaii) and already has in the works enhancements around strategic account management, customer portfolio management, enhanced PRM and other modules.

Today - "Oracle also announced "Project Fusion," the company's next-generation information-oriented application architecture that will combine features and functions of Oracle's applications with those of PeopleSoft and JD Edwards."

What is this ? Kapalua ? Fusion ? Someone needs to stop eating at Roys Restaurants.

3. Incorporating some elements from the J.D. Edwards suite, particularly the vertical applications that wo do not yet have, such as private banking services.

Today, Larry talked about this this - taking some of the Peoplesoft/JDE functionality and getting them to re-insert it into their code.

4. certain percentage of those companies are interested in the higher-end PeopleSoft CRM application. "For them, we are building integration links."

Obviously, Oracle will also create integration links from Peoplesoft and JDE - and will certainly try to sell the Oracle products down to the mid-market companies. Peoplesoft never actually managed to come up with "integration links" that worked - and it is unlikely that Oracle can do the same either.

5. For the most part, PeopleSoft has decided that the strategy J.D. Edwards had in place to integrate the PeopleSoft CRM modules with its toolset is sufficient. "It is very aggressive, and we will be accelerating it to a certain extent," Wilson said. Once the build-out of the toolset is complete, J.D. Edwards customers will have full Unicode compliance, enhanced order management and other new functions available to them

Eventually, Peoplesoft worked out that maybe announcing the "merger" of two toolsets was the wrong direction, and instead this shows that they understood that two toolsets could NOT be merged, but the functionality from one could be re-developed under another.

6. PeopleSoft also will transfer some of its intellectual property to that release, providing such features as claims handling in the contact center, order processing in the sales module, and pricing and promotion management in the marketing application.

In effect, Peoplesoft backtracked after making initial announcements concerning the future "combined product" when they investigated the releases.

Duckowsky hadn't a clue about how the products worked - he barely had a grip on reality, especially with his "it'll take 4-6 weeks for Oracle to disappear" announcement in September of 2003. Nobody expects Larry to be any more realistic - hence the marketing message of the "successor product" and "assimilating" the code is in full force - but, once the developers are provided the tasks, they will soon realize that you cannot combine two toolsets let alone three - and that you MUST choose one of them.

Today is far too early to tell, as can be seen with the above paragraphs - given the initial peoplesoft press release, we hadn't a clue what was going to happen with OneWorld 18 months down the road.

As I've been telling everyone before, we've been here before. Once Larry goes off to sail a boat and the real business gets underway again, then we'll start to see what'll happen to our products. In the meantime, Oracle will bend over backwards to keep JDE and Peoplesoft customers - so now is certainly a great time if you have any license negotiation to do.....

Re: My \"Take\" on what is happening with JDE today....

Ahhh, Gandalf speaks of the visions he sees
The vision of Gandalf is great!

Love the insight and I agree they do not understand what they are talking about yet but now is the time for JDE customers to strike a deal and get it in writing;-) remember we are dealing with the Evil Empire here.

Well, one thing certain it will not be boring for JDE shops.
Blessed fortune to all those who venture forth.

Tom

Re: My \"Take\" on what is happening with JDE today....

LOL Frodo! Your english wit and observations are always interesting Jon!

Back