Multifoundation on the iSeries Question

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
Setup multifoundation on an iSeries V7R1. Everything was working and then we had a power outage that just flipped the power off on this machine. After recovering and getting it back online, I was unable to start my new secondary instance. It appeared the command would try and start the original instance. Oracle pointed me to a document: E1: SP: How to Create or Remove the OneWorld Subsystem on iSeries AS/400 ( Doc ID 631117.1 )
In this document it states:

"All the CRTOWSBS command does is issue the CHGCMMDFT and this command changes the STRNET and the ENDNET command to use the new subsystem library as the default library.

Invoke the Change Command Default (CHGCMDDFT):"

So I want to verify what the STRNET and ENDNET default command parameters should be. Is it just the subsystem name or is it a port number? Does anyone know what these defaults should be or how to look and see before I attempt to change them?

Steve what happens when you set up your library list and try to start the problematic instance, by just starting the subsystem? Also did you do the CLRIPC, this could be another issue, as not doing it leads to 'unpredictable results'.

The most likely cause in my book is looking at the wrong INI. Take a look at the kernel logs and try porttest to see if you get some useful information.

As listed there really isn't enought to go on at the moment.

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. All "looks" good when reviewing the library list parameters. When logged into the original instance, the library list shows E900SYS and when logged into my new instance, it shows E90091SYS. If I manually time STRNET and prompt it with F4, I see subsystem JDEE900 for the original instance and JDEE90091 for the new instances. Again, all looks good. I can successfully run PORTTEST from both instances. The only issue, I find now is when doing an ENDNET on the original instance from server manager, I get a processing window, but nothing happens with the subsystem. I can end and start the new instance successfully from server manager, and I can successfully start the original instance from server manager. I can also successfully end the original instance from the OW menu on the iSeries console. It just won't end from server manager. And this scares me when I try to actually upgrade the tools release if it will fail if I can't even end and start the instance correctly. That is why I want to know what the default parameters should be for STRNET and ENDNET so I can verify they are set correctly for both the original instance and the new instance.

Steve,

Now that I'm at work I can give you my defaults:
9.0 STRNET SBS(JDEE900) ENDNET SERVICE(*INI) SBS(JDEE900) CLRIPC FROM(*INI) TO(*CALC)
9.1 STRNET SBS(JDEE910) ENDNET SERVICE(*INI) SBS(JDEE910) CLRIPC FROM(*INI) TO(*CALC)

Hope this helps.

Tom

Back