Multi-Currency Questions - JE's & CA ledger balances/transactions

gina13tiger

gina13tiger

Hello.

We have a new location that just went live on our existing E1 platform, and this is the first location to require multi-currency capabilities. I am still getting acclimated to the nuances and wrinkles this introduces into the day-to-day processing, but I had a few questions on topics that I cannot seem to find the answers in any of the Oracle config documents or searches and appreciate the group's help.

1. Inventory transactions - When receiving a foreign currency PO, there is a posting into the CA ledger for inventory; however, the item ledger doesn't reflect the foreign equivalent anywhere that I can locate. Given this, how does the balance in the CA ledger ever deplete for what is either sold, adjusted out, etc.? Or does this balance just continue to grow in perpetuity?

2. JE's to fix errant foreign transaction postings - we had a situation where a handful of PO receipts properly recorded transactions in both the AA ledger and the CA ledger for the credit to RNV and debit to in-transit, but only recorded the CA ledger entries for the corresponding move to stock crediting in-transit and debiting inventory. As a result, my CA ledger is fine, but my AA ledger needed to be adjusted. Other than doing a straight AA ledger in the company currency, is there a way to do just an AA ledger posting, but have the foreign currency designated so that when you run the F0911 details and look at the details by currency within the AA ledger the amounts clear themselves out? I've tried unchecking the foreign box and enter the currency in testing; however, it always creates the corresponding CA ledger entries (which I don't want because the CA ledger is fine). I didn't know if there was a way similar to posting an out of balance batch or something that would allow me to by-pass the CA posting.

In case anyone is wondering about #2 above, the root cause turned out to be that there was no 08 (Purchase) cost record in the F4105 table for that branch item/primary location combination resulting in this crazy GL posting issue as well as the inability to voucher POs as there was no domestic value reflected. We ultimately had to reverse these POs (which posted all the correcting reversal entries - unlike the original receipt), and then re-receive with the updated pricing.

Inventory is always maintained in base currency. It is never maintained in foreign currency simply because if you buy a material of USD 100 now and of EUR 50 tomorrow, then you have 150 (?) In which currency ?? Also USD 100 brought now but issued next month when exchange rate has changed, what would you do. Issue it in base currency at historical value or current USD value? Obviously foreign currency does not make sense when it comes to inventory. It is always maintained in local base currency of the company. So do not look at CA ledger balance of Inventory account in GL. Simply ignore it.

Hello.

We have a new location that just went live on our existing E1 platform, and this is the first location to require multi-currency capabilities. I am still getting acclimated to the nuances and wrinkles this introduces into the day-to-day processing, but I had a few questions on topics that I cannot seem to find the answers in any of the Oracle config documents or searches and appreciate the group's help.

1. Inventory transactions - When receiving a foreign currency PO, there is a posting into the CA ledger for inventory; however, the item ledger doesn't reflect the foreign equivalent anywhere that I can locate. Given this, how does the balance in the CA ledger ever deplete for what is either sold, adjusted out, etc.? Or does this balance just continue to grow in perpetuity?

2. JE's to fix errant foreign transaction postings - we had a situation where a handful of PO receipts properly recorded transactions in both the AA ledger and the CA ledger for the credit to RNV and debit to in-transit, but only recorded the CA ledger entries for the corresponding move to stock crediting in-transit and debiting inventory. As a result, my CA ledger is fine, but my AA ledger needed to be adjusted. Other than doing a straight AA ledger in the company currency, is there a way to do just an AA ledger posting, but have the foreign currency designated so that when you run the F0911 details and look at the details by currency within the AA ledger the amounts clear themselves out? I've tried unchecking the foreign box and enter the currency in testing; however, it always creates the corresponding CA ledger entries (which I don't want because the CA ledger is fine). I didn't know if there was a way similar to posting an out of balance batch or something that would allow me to by-pass the CA posting.

In case anyone is wondering about #2 above, the root cause turned out to be that there was no 08 (Purchase) cost record in the F4105 table for that branch item/primary location combination resulting in this crazy GL posting issue as well as the inability to voucher POs as there was no domestic value reflected. We ultimately had to reverse these POs (which posted all the correcting reversal entries - unlike the original receipt), and then re-receive with the updated pricing.

That was what I was figuring on the inventory side of it. It isn't anything that can be reconciled or anything given that the F4111 only transacts in local currency.

Thanks for your help answering #1 :)

Back