• Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

E9.2 MRP branch implementation

Hello,
I am an engineer guiding the branch's Purchasing and Production team to start operating on the MRP applications for our JDE E1 v9.2 system. I am relatively new to MRP as a process engineer with an industrial engineering background. I interned at this company previously, and trained, tested, and went live with full MRP - however I had to leave 1 week after going live due to school. I understand the communication between Purchasing & Production is critical, and that the MRP input data needs to be clean and precise for good messages - but I am seeking a higher-level perspective on how to approach the general process of implementation from professionals and engineers who have done this before.

Therefore I am looking for general guidance as to how my team should operate once going live and running the back-and-forth game with IT and our branch to make sure the tool is working for us. Any advice or pointers for implementation goals or communication plans would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Larry_Jones

Legendary Poster
If you don't have anyone in the organization with MRP/ERP Understanding AND Experience your organization could be in the 75% ...

"... it can be easy to underestimate the time, effort and resources needed to successfully implement and maintain an ERP. Analysts have found that roughly 75 percent of ERP projects fail."

Steve2020

Beware of the users who like to have a PICNIC - Problem / In / Chair / Not / In / Computer ..... often you will be told - especially with MRP - "that it doesn't work" - when the truth is the user is having a PICNIC ... MRP is not easy to understand and its even harder to master ... Oracle Knowledge site is essential... so are sites like JDETIPS.COM .... the resources are out there... take your time as " you can only eat an Elephant one bite at a time" ... Hindu Proverb .... MRP is one very BIG ELEPHANT ...

If you don't have anyone in the organization with MRP/ERP Understanding AND Experience your organization could be in the 75% ...

"... it can be easy to underestimate the time, effort and resources needed to successfully implement and maintain an ERP. Analysts have found that roughly 75 percent of ERP projects fail."
Hey Larry, thank you for your thoughts. Could you elaborate on this concept? I worked closely to the corporate IT team [that had immense knowledge of ERP and MRP implementation], and it was successful on the data/software end with forecast, item data, etc., but the bigger issue came when [as Steve explains] that team members stated that "MRP does not work". I personally find that MRP is a fantastic tool that works for those who use it wisely and follow its guidelines [just like using any regular tool like Excel], but I am trying to understand how to break through to my operational team as to how to delicately discuss and understand this while also implementing and working on the MRP module.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Ivan

Beware of the users who like to have a PICNIC - Problem / In / Chair / Not / In / Computer ..... often you will be told - especially with MRP - "that it doesn't work" - when the truth is the user is having a PICNIC ... MRP is not easy to understand and its even harder to master ... Oracle Knowledge site is essential... so are sites like JDETIPS.COM .... the resources are out there... take your time as " you can only eat an Elephant one bite at a time" ... Hindu Proverb .... MRP is one very BIG ELEPHANT ...

Hey Steve,
I understand what you mean, but I would not say that they are a problem, rather they do not understand the strategical planning that MRP performs under the purchasing or production end.
I am worried that the people in these positions may be used to a certain way of doing things, and therefore may not be willing to budge out of their current ways - do you have any suggestions or strategies that help open up discussion of this issue?

Thanks, Ivan